Friday, June 19, 2020

Jack’s Winning Words 6/19/20
“There’s an old saying about those who forget history.  I don’t remember it, but it’s good.”  (Stephen Colbert)  Do you have a favorite comedian?  I laughed at Colbert when his name was pronounced, Coal-burt.  He has a weirdness (and cutting edge) that I like.  Many comics come from hard times, finding laughter in the “tragic.”  Charlie Chaplin was a master of this.  Jackie Gleason mastered it as Ralph Kramden in the Honeymooners.  Who (what) makes you laugh?  ;-)  Jack


FROM ST PAUL:   looking at re-runs of the Honeymooners in today's culture,  it's a wonder Alice didn't get a gun and shoot him for  being and sounding so abusive.  it seemed funny then but not so much today===JACK:  I really, REALLY laugh at the Honeymooners.  Don't feel too sorry for Alice.  She gives it right back at Ralph.   

FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  e have Michael McIntyre  who has a show on TV on Saturdays and it makes me laugh until my sides ache!===JACK:  With Youtube I should be able to watch "your" Michael...and see if my sides ache.  Is British humor different from American?  Fawlty Towers was a favorite of mine.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I think “Your Show of Shows” was the best comedy show ever.... ===JACK:   As for comedy, how about DJT claiming that he made Juneteenth into the famous day it is today?

FROM WILLMAR REV:  Me sometimes, as I shake my head in disbelief at what I just said or did?!  Nobody else is.  0;-/===JACK:  I remember making some slip-ups during sermons...saying the wrong thing...then starting laugh in the pulpit, with others, laughing, too.  But, no rolling in the aisles, like at an A of G service.

FROM INDY GENIE:  I love Stephen Colbert. He makes me laugh and think. Ross, on Friends, also makes me laugh out loud ...in every episode. ===JACK:  I liked your mom's laugh.  I can picture (hear) it now.===GENIE:  Oh...thank you for mentioning her and her laugh! I like that you knew her.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Love  Colbert, especially his monologues about Trump!  Truly funny! I have a framed photo with the caption "Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves for we will never cease to be amused!"  I am often amused...!  The Golden Girls are usually good for a laugh, too! The Dick Van Dyke Show, and Coach,  were good ones in their day!! :-)  Thank goodness for the gift of humor!!!===JACK:  Laughter, like beauty, is in the beholder.  Colbert "amuses" me.  He's not the HA HA type of comedian.  I wonder if Jesus really (really) laughed at a joke?  I mean...at stuff that isn't in the Bible.===BO:  We don't know, that's for sure...but I hope he did! A little levity goes
a long way in dealing with life's ups and downs, and He sure had that!! With his close friends, maybe??

No comments: