Wednesday, June 24, 2020


Jack’s Winning Words 6/24/20
“I want to meet myself from someone else’s point of view.”  (Converse shoe ad)  Chuck Taylor, was Converse’s greatest shoe salesman.  “Chuck Taylors” were the preferred basketball shoe in “my day.”  At 50 bucks, they weren’t cheap!  The Converse ad, quoted today, shows someone in a pair of Chucks.  Evidently, you were supposed to look pretty cool in them, and we thought we did.  Age teaches that it’s what’s in the head and not on the feet that counts.  ;-)  Jack


FROM WILLMAR REV:  Sometimes, more so than not from many, "too old, too late" to catch that truth of "head over feet"! I've tripped over mine enough to know! 0;-)===JACK: I tripped a few times...but thankfully, landed on my feet. 


FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Absolutely

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Would we be the person we believe we are if we saw ourselves through someone else’s eyes?  My mother was overweight most of her adult life.  But to my father, she was always a size 10.  He always bought her a small size.  To him, my mom was perfect.  He always saw her as his young wife.  It was a nearly perfect marriage and all of us kids wanted a marriage just like theirs.  In the eyes of the beholder, my parents were the best ever.  To their children they were always the best.===JACK:  Prejudice means to pre-judge, using false criteria.  Too much prejudice in the world, past and presentr.

FROM ST PAUL:  ...and in the heart, too.===JACK:  I'll bet your heart went pit-a-pat when you first spied Margaret in her server's outfit.

FROM QUILTING CAROL:  Can remember when the Michael Jordan basketball shoes first came out…all the boys wanted that at $100 or more for a pair.  Also heard that some kids were hurt by others because they wanted the kid’s Jordan shoes. I doubt that happened with the Chuck Taylor shoes. In your day.  But some of us thought we looked pretty cool in our saddle shoes too.===JACK:  Penny loafers were cool, too.  Did you ever wear them?===QC:  Yes, but I carried dimes in mine for an emergency phone call; Bob still has a pair he wears for dress – with quarters! HA!

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  ....and as I remember, Jimmy V ....”never give up.”===JACK:  Jimmy walked the talk.  His positive outlook on life continued  to show through until the end.  I pray that it would be so for you and me.  The virus news does not seem good as it comes from Texas.  Be careful; be safe. ===RS:  Yes.  We have concluded we have to be our own advocates here.  Too many not following the distancing and mask guidelines, and not sure you can be truly effective trying to legislate that.  Hope y'all are being safe as well.===JACK:  Sometimes things need to get worse before they get better4, before the lesson is learned.  There's a hymn..."Our times are in Thy hand, O Lord; we wish them there. "
 

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  Intresting.  I am reading up on NLP or Neuro Linguistic Programming (Bandler & Grinder-1980's). One of the more useful concepts is taking "the coaches position." Being able to imagine yourself viewing situations as they play out. Seeing the events objectively.
 I think Chuck was ahead of his time. It's so valuable to be able to view yourself from a different perspective, like looking through different camera angles. 
Love the quote, good day sir===JACK:  I think that both you and I appreciate salesmanship, done in the right way.

No comments: