Monday, November 21, 2022

 Jack’s Winning Words  11/21/22

When you’re dead, you don’t know you’re dead.  The pain is felt by others.  The same thing happens when you’re stupid.  (Ricky Gervais). Ricky is a famous British comedian.  Who else, but someone with weird sense of humor could make a comedy about a suicidal man whose wife has died of cancer?  There are different types of comedians, such as Steve Martin, Jonathan Winters and Milton Berle, as well as different types of humor.  I like humor that has us read between the lines to truly get the point.  Is there a comedian who you truly appreciate?  I remember one…Yakov Smirnoff.  “America, what a country!”  ;-)  Jack

FROM CL IN CIM:  This may be the best one ever!===JACK:  I like it, too.

FROM SMILIN' TERI:  🌻When someone shows you who they are, believe them:  the first time!”  (Maya Angelou)===JACK:  You can't go wrong quoting Maya.

FROM DANDI SANDI:  That’s funny!!!===JACK:  I've found that friends are friends because they understand each other...and our sense of humor.

FROM THE SCIENTIST:  MI enjoy a variety of comedy. I suppose right now it’s mostly things that make me laugh at myself of the situation. It helps to keep perspective. Some are more silly. Some are more clever. As a pastor, have you heard of the TickTok/YouTube comedian, Adrian Bliss? I recommend you google Adrian Bliss and Noah’s ark. Or Adrian Bliss and Jesus. ===JACK:  I'm old fashioned.  I've never did an Tik-Tok.  Stphen Colbert is my favorite comedian.

FROM CCS:  😂🤣😂🤣===JACK:  We're on the same page.

FROM WILLMAR REV:  "I've been told on occasions that I'm a big joke?!" 0;-)) ===JACK:  I'd be surprised if everybody liked you.  Even Jesus had his enemies.

FROM ST PAUL:  i always liked Bob Newhart and some of his early records.   also,  Shelley Bermann. ===JACK:  Thanks for the reminder of some othe good ones.  I like the Steve Martin movies, too.  

FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  In my opinion,humor is one of the most powerful tools if PROPERLY used in communication.It can used by a talented  surgeon or an incompetent butcher. I miss comedians such as Jack Benny,Sam Levinson  & most comedians of that era,because they practiced self deprecating humor & shared their personal observations of the funny incongruities of daily life without offending anyone. On the theme of "stupid" I'm reminded of the saying:"If you see 2 people arguing & one of them is stupid,make sure that one of them is not you"===JACK:  Why do you suppose that so many comedians are Jewish?===IKE:  It's interesting that you ask,because I've had numerous discussions on that topic with my jewish friends & we've come to the conclusion that humor has been one of the most effective defense strategies that Jewish people have used to deal with the numerous pogroms & Nazism. In fact,one of the most popular Jewish jokes during the holocaust was: "One of the inmates in one of the concentration camps whispers to another one:"I just heard that Hitler is going to die on a Jewish holiday.The other inmate asks excitedly which one? The first one answers,any day that Hitler dies is going to be a Jewish holiday"====JACK:  I always thought that Jewish humor had its roots in the Yiddish tradtion.  



 


No comments: