Friday, November 04, 2022

 Jack’s Winning Words  11/4/22  

I’ve learned that money doesn’t buy class.”  (Andy Rooney - died 11/4/11) Most of my favorites are no longer on the air…Harry Reasoner, Morley Safer, Johnny Carson, Groucho Marx, and Andy Rooney.  IMO, Andy was the best, especially when he closed 60 Minutes each week with his wry humor.  Andy and I have never admired people who thought that money made them important.  “Money doesn’t buy class!”  Here are a couple of others that make me miss Andy even more: “Elephants and grandchildren never forget.”, and  “A writer’s job is to tell the truth.”  People define “class” in different ways.  Wealth? Integrity? Manners? Can you name some people with class? ;-)  Jack  

FROM RS IN TEXAS:   People with class  -  Jimmy Carter, Walter Cronkite, MLK, John Lewis..  .. Another line I like....."Being a gentleman doesn't make you better than someone else. Being a better person helps make you a gentleman."===JACK:  Who else, but Jimmy Carter, is a respectable (classy) person today?  Why should we have to search ouir brain for a name?O come up with Liz Cheney.

FROM JU IN NC:  Liz Cheney,Colin Powell ===JACK:  You're reading my mind.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Good morning, Pastor Freed, I always appreciated Mr. Rogers and also the advice column by Ann Landers.  Some common sense and consideration for others and not just busy with making an impression on others, not just star power.  I like your list and miss Andy Rooney too and also Harry Reasoner, a real gentleman.===JACK:  You're classy, Sharon.

FROM BB IN CHGO:  Have you ever watched Trevor Noah on comedy central?  I love his South African take on our culture and politics.  He’s resigning (after 7 years?) on December 8th but worth a listen if time allows.===JACK:  Late shows are too late for me anymore.  I watch Colbert re-runs on You Tube a day late.

FROM CPA MIKE:   I have not seen any incidence where skin color influenced immigration. ===JACK:  Maybe it's in the perception, but I see most of those at the border being of a brown skin.  Poorer economic situation seems to be prevalent, too.  

FROM G 7:  Condoleezza Rice!!===JACK:  Whatever happened to her?  Oh, that 's right.  That classy woman went back to teaching at the university.  Sometimes we make choices that best for us and for society.

FROM DAZ IN COLORADO:  I thought Ronald Reagan had a lot of class. ===JACK:  Some people thought that being a movies star tarnished the class.  But he did not seem to be an equivicator.===DAZ:  He was a good old school politician which is out of style. Also, l think he was too honest.===JACK:  He had experience directing the Screen Actors Guild. 


FROM EEFC:  Dad, YOU’re classy <3

===JACK:  That's nice for you to say.  Thanks

FROM HUNGRRY HOWIE:  You Jack, you have class. ===JACK:  If I have any, it must come hangong around with people like you...and rubbing off.

FROM VW MARY:  One person with class: John Freed…===JACK:  I remember the first time I met you in the St Stephen's parking lot.  I said to myself, "Now there's a lady with class.

FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  You Pastor Freed!===JACK:  Can anyone be classier than a lady from England with a lovely British accent...who is smart, too?

FROM SR RD:  JESUS, Joshua, Jack Freed, Joan Thralow and their names all begin with the same letter!?===JACK:  I must opt out.  I don't belong in a grouping that included Jesus.  However, when it come to "the the religious", you're right up there with Mother Teresa.  Now, that's classy.  I can almost see the halo that shines over your head.


No comments: