Friday, November 11, 2022

 Jack’s Winning Words  11/11/22

“Yes, we can!” (Obama campaign slogan)  The political slogan that  I remember is, “Give ‘em Hell, Harry.”  Maybe that’s because it was the first time I voted.  BTW, can you recall the first time you cast a ballot, and who it was for and why?  "Yes we can” is an example of the power of positive thinking.  I’ve been under the impression that “positive thinking”, and it’s power, was an invention of the minister Norman Vincent Peale.  I also see examples of it in the Bible.  Maybe not in so many words, but the idea of “Yes, You Can!”  It’s even in a child’s book, “I think I can.....I know I can.”  So, when we are faced with some scary situation, we can look for guidance from the Bible, a little engine, or Norman Vincent and say, “Yes, I can!”  ;-)  Jack  

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Thought-provoking WW this morning.  I actually can’t remember the first time I voted or even voting at the time we entered into the Vietnam War even though our marriage was so impacted as Jerry was drafted—all past history happened so fast and blurry in my mind.  Though remember distinctly my mom voting for Kennedy.  What’s impressive to me now is knowing some people who were so troubled by Proposal 3 and opposed to it and how they are handling their disappointment—I.e. people have different opinions, keep focusing on Jesus and hoping the lawmakers will tweak it.  That is some kind of “I think I can” perspective too coming from another place than from the place of the voters who voted for the proposal to be passed, both trusting our thinking, discerning and reasoning.  A lot of good advice and teaching comes out of the Bible for some people though I realize also some people can read and interpret the Bible in a less peaceful way too.  I remain hopeful for our country and it’s institutions, positive thinking here.===JACK:  I have trouble seeing Jesus in one of our voting booths.  Some decisions are simply left for us to decide....and be responsible for.

FROM ST PAUL:  i find Peale appalling and Paul appealing:):):)   old joke.  have a good weekend,  Jack.   here is another one:  i would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!:):) ===JACK:  Another religious person was gave rathe uplifting biblically appealing messages was Bishop Fulton Sheen.

FROM SMILIN' TERI:  Yes, we can!”   Another quote:  “What if it all works out?” (Melissa Hurley) (Rather than “the sky is falling.”)===JACK:  ....and what if all of our prayers are answered as we pray them?  There's a book: "Come, let us play God."  Would you like to put you in God's placce for a day?

FROM THE SCIENTIST:  I just got an email from my energy company offering carbon offsets to support the 3700 acres of forest they are managing. Glad to see the step, but this will need a big shift. I’m glad for the UN calling us out ===JACK:  In Minnesota, Joan's energy company owns and operates hundreds of solar fields, and customers are given a lower rate because of them.  I have a friend who has covered her roof and side walls with solar panels.  She is aiming, ay sometime, to 100% green.  She already drives an electric car.

FROM BB IN CHGO:  Hmmmm 1980.  I believe I cast my vote for John Anderson.  Probably a mistake?===JACK:  Why a mistake?  Did it make a difference one way or another?  You did what you wanted to do ast the time.  Even this time, if your vote or mine would have gone missing, would it have changed the outcome?  



No comments: