Tuesday, November 29, 2022

 

Jack’s Winning Words 11/29/22
“I am not a fatalist; I’m an optimist who worries a lot.” (Margaret Albright)  I’m a charter member of our community’s Optimist Club which began over 50 years ago.  For half a century we’ve been closing our weekly meetings by saying together the Optimist Creed which begins: “Promise yourself to be so strong that nothing can destroy your peace of mind.”  Try saying that over and over again…during an election cycle…when someone you love is having surgery…when we see pictures and read about starving people in the world…when a close friend unexpectedly dies.  I’m an optimist, but I also have feelings.  Is there such a thing as a Realist Club?  ;-) Jack 

FROM PEE WEE:  So maybe the line should read?  “I am not a fatalist; I’m an optimist who worries a lot because I'm a realist." ===JACK:  tHE REALITY IS THAT it's hard to be an optimist in a pessimisitc world.

FROM ST PAUL:  FOR a long time i thought that Creed was kind of corny but it really does have some value and validity.  if nothing else,  it reminds us that we do have some control over happiness in our daily lives. ===JACK:  I'm not so sure that the "modern wording" of the Creed and the Prayers really speaks to me.  Am I becoming as old-fashioned as the people I used to criticize?===SP:  i think some of the modern wording is not helpful.   there is a new creed out now that has a very strong gay/lesbian slant to it.  will send it if i can find it again.   also,  sotv is not using the international lectionary series this year.   last Sunday there was only one text from Isaiah,  the one about sword/spears and pruning hooks.  we sand only one Advent hymn and we will be focusing on a new book that attempts lift up night and darkness as being good and holy  (some strong racial overtones here too).   so don't we get to hear about Mary and Joseph,  John the Baptist,   Zachariah and Elizabeth,  the angelic visitation,  the wise and foolish virgins,  Simeon and Anna?????   not sure i am happy about this.  we have had a very strong theme of social justice,  racial justice,  and gay/lesbian justice for the past 6 months or so.  i hope they don't overdue it.  we have already lost some members of coursJACK:  I'm not saying one is better than another.  I was only making a comment on my own feelings.

FROM DAZ IN CO:   Promise yourself to be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind. ===JACK:  Not as easy as it sounds!

FROM JEFF P IN MERRILL:  I was a member of our optimist club for about 20 years, after I aged out of Jaycees.===JACK: Did the Optimist Creed help you to deal with your recent accident?  I suppose there were some times when you needed positive thinking.   Optimists is still one of our most active service clubs.===JP:Oh yeah, and I still need the positive thoughts. I've progressed remarkably well, but certainly have a way to go to be able to do many of my normal activities.  I believe having so many people praying for me helped my recovery. BTW, I used to know both of those creeds by heart but now only recall portions.===JACK:  Over 50 years of saying the Optimist Creed is almost like going to church and being asked to say the Lord's Prayer.


FROM CHIEF FITZ:  It often happens out joy or happiness for someone accomplishing something monumental (monumental for them) or listening to powerful music.  So yes, it happens sometimes.  Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful.===JACK:  I've noticed it, too.  I like reading your responses.  They make sense (just like my WWs !  HAHA)

 


FROM ST5 PAUL:  o see my blog

No comments: