Tuesday, November 15, 2022

 

Jack’s Winning Words  11/15/22
“Goodnight stars.  Goodnight air.  Goodnight noises everywhere.”  (Margaret Wise Brown)  Brown has been called “The Laureate of the Nursery” because of her skill at writing books…like Goodnight Moon and the Runaway Bunny…for children.  I’m proud to have had a confirmation student who is not only an English prof, but also an author of books for children.  Another friend who was a Kindergarten teacher recently read me a favorite book of hers by holding it up before my eyes and pointing to the words and pictures (just like I was back in K).  She was reading about Louis Armstrong’s song “What a Wonderful World” as a CD of the song played in the background. I loved it.  I wish that you could have been there.  ;-)  Jack.

FROM MK IN WL:  The boys loved finding the mouse in Goodnight Moon. I miss those day of cuddling at night & reading to them. I think I need to bring out a book & read to them again!===JACK:  If I can enjoy a Kindergarten reading of It's a Wonderful World, I think that the boys will enjoy a re-reading of Goodnight Moon.

FROM THAT KINDERGARTEN TEACHER:  Thank you.===JACK:  and the Vikings won on Sunday.  Life is good.  And the Lions lost.  What's new?

FROM KA LIVING UP NORTH:  Good morning, Pastor Freed!  I always enjoy reading your blog posts and was especially delighted to see today's topic of children's books.  As many young readers and adults do, I love Goodnight Moon and have editions in various languages, along with a few silly parodies, on my shelves.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but perhaps the Engish-prof children's-author is moi? If so, thank you for mentioning me! ===JACK:  I'll never forget the story of you and you dad reading the Want Ad pages.  God had a plan for you that pleased you.  Congratulations on making the most of it.  

FROM ST PAUL:  the Runaway Bunny is Margaret's all time favorite book for children.  she has given away over a dozen copies to friends over the years. ===JACK:  Have you ever preached a sermon on the theme of that book.  I could make it work, and you should be able to do it, too.===SP:  No, I haven't.   at least not directly.  but it sure is a gospel centered story.   a God who never stops looking for his lost children. ===JACK:  The Lost Sheep comes close. 

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  ❤===JACK:  Evidently you've said "Goodnight" to the moon and remember it.===LIZ:  of course i am.  that is why i want to help people as much as you do. but i do not look upon others as poor stupid losers to be pitied and propped up...  i see everyone as valuable. i want to see them educated, productive and content.  the dems' social experiment of the past 50 years is an epic failure in every respect===JACK:  You're making some assumptions.  It's a societal issue, not a political one.  It's frustrating when we try to get people to come together politically to solve the problems you list.

FROM DANDI SANDI:  Wish I could have been there too! What a beautiful experience. As an elementary principal, I always kept a rocking chair and a personal children’s library in my office. I loved reading to groups of kids, esp if they were there because they were naughty!! I recently donating my collection. Sorta miss it, but I know that others are enjoying my special books. 🥰📚🤓===JACK:  A friend of Joan's served as a Rocking Chair Grandma in a nearby school.  It was a blow to the whole school when she died suddenly.  A rocking chair area has been set aside so that the tradition can continue.===DS:  A beautiful tribute to her.===JACK:  I received a call from her today, thanking ME>===JACK:  I want to thank her and all the others who have given themselves to the profession.  

FROM WILLMAR REV:  Interestingly for us, our new neighbor, recently retired art teacher from Bemidji, MN, has written and published a couple of children's books . . . Fran purchased them as gifts for our grandsons in Rochester===JACK:  What better gift than a book to give to a grandchild.  I hope that you wrote a message inside.

FROM PROUD MARy:  one of my favorite margaret wise brown books is "the little island". it reminds me of an island up in manitowish waters, wisconsin...(god's country). it's a sweet and quirky book about a kitten's adventure in nature on the island. i would love to read it to you one day. ===JACK:  There's still time to reread it.

FROM WILLMAR REV:  We did . . . and in years passed when Fran was working at Hallmark Cards, she would buy some of the Christmas stories with ways to record Grandpa and Grandma's voices telling the story. 0;-)  ===JACK:  What a neat idea.  I always liked shopping for Hallmark cards.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  "nite nite moon  nite nite street lite"  as my dad held me up to the window each nite 😇===JACK:  You're a SOFTIE, after all.

FROM GD JC:  Thanks for gifting Kya’s library that book!===JA CK:  The CD goes with it.  I hope that when she learns to sing, she'll like bith the book and the music.

FROM ER:  Goodnight Moon was one of my favorite books to read my boys. They loved "finding" the mouse on every page. I just gave that book to Kevin's daughter at her baby shower.===JACK:  The old becomes new.  Maybe you can read it to the "nw" baby, too. 



 

 


No comments: