Monday, November 28, 2022

 Jack’s Winning Words  11/28/22

 “Cleanliness is next to Godliness.”  This well-known saying is often used to justify keeping things neat and tidy. But I can see it as symbolism behind Baptism: to wash away (symbolically) the stain of sin.  In the Baptist Church the pastor immerses the whole body to bring about cleanliness.  I once was asked to baptize a baby by immersion, using a large pottery bowl filled with water. It worked.  Since then, I’ve learned that that was the only time the bowl has been used. How many pastors do you know have such a story to tell?   ;-)  Jack

FROM WILLMAR REV:  My immersed baptism was in a farm pond in Kansas that had its share of cow pods sprinkled around its perimeter . . . 'the physical setting' was more like that feed trough in Bethlehem that day?! 0;-) ===JACK:  How old were you at that time?  What kind of statement of faith did you make?===WR:  5th or 6th Grade…benefits of being raised in a high-level participating family of faith since pre-school age and had raised my hand to accept ‘Jesus’ into my life around the age of 7…church services were well attended every time the doors were open. 0;-)===JACK:  "Gove me that old-time religion...It was food for our fathers and it's good enough for me."


FROM COPPER COUNTRY BOB:  Warm greetings, Jack. Thanks..... I've heard the phrase a thousand times but never connected it to Baptism.   Zowii! Nope, I have no such story to tell.  Thanks for sharing this jewel of a story with us. Bob  ===JACK:  Did you ever baptize someone by immersion?  Was it in the winter? 

FROM ST PAUL:  Luther said to recall your baptism each time you wash your face.  Pr. Chris Smith went out to a country church some years ago to do a baptism.  the building had actually be unheated all week and the water in the font was frozen solid.  no lie!   someone ran home and came back with a pot of boiling hot water.   soo many stories to tell...===JACK:  How about the time when there was no wine left for the deacon to fill the communion glasses....so, he used whiskey,===JACK:  I'm saying tha mixed with water?  No lie!===SP:   

No comments: