Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Jack’s Winning Words 8/26/20
“All that glitters is not gold.”  (Shakespeare)  Beware of the scam!  Shakespeare said it best in The  Merchant of Venice: “All that glitters is not gold.”  I like what Einstein said on the subject:  “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not so sure about the former.”  …and you may remember Aesop’s fable about The Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing.  Today, be on the lookout for things fake…merchandise, people and “news” (Red & Blue)  ;-)  Jack
www.jackswinningwords.blogspot.com to see my blog


FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  Pastor Jack!, my grandson or granddaughter will gasp if you say stupid around them. My daughter treats stupid as a bad word, for a 4-year-old, it’s probably not a word that is so useful.  Generally, terms like that, Dr. Einstien excluded, are a sign of lazy speech or more often lazy thinking.  I’ll bypass the gold and glitter idea, for now, I need to get back to work shortly.  Your WW reminded me of my grandson gasping and turning to his mom as an adult friend of hers pronounced something was stupid.  It’s not that Paige thinks this is a horrible word, but that it i
 s too often used as a “lazy” catchall.  More than we believe, our vocabulary defines our actions and our lives.  I think Heidegger said, “Language is the house of being, how you speak changes your being.”  It’s a different impression on your psyche to define an act as unkind, inconsiderate, or obtuse, rather than simply stupid!   I would never let my children reply with whatever!  I would follow-up until we teased out the correct emotion or words.  In Home, Samuel Smiles (1896) said it this way: “If they have enjoyed the advantage of neither the home nor school, but have been allowed to grow up untrained, untaught, and undisciplined, then woe to themselves—woe to the society of which they form part.”  In 2004 I wrote, “Usually, if young adults are broke and confused, it’s a sign that the parents are broke and confused or missing in action.” Sorry for the long rant and grandkid bragging, the word stupid is non-productive and a conversation starter in our household.  Have a good day, sir. Now I’m late for my next meeting.===JACK:  I was not going to post your complete response, but it was so good that I couldn't resist.  Words are tools used to communicate ideas and feelings.  I use "stupid" as a swear word, rather than to take the Lord's name in vain.  I sometimes (lately) use it to describe a person who is really stupid.  I'm with your daughter when she teaches her children NOT to use it.  "Dumb" is a similar word.  Thanks for your thoughtful responses.===JON:
Wow. I sent too long of a reply. ===JACK:  "Conversations" are never too long when they are between friends.

FROM RS IN MN:  I LOVE your wise words.  You are certainly in direct communication with our Heavenly Father.   Thank you for being YOU! ===JACK: There's an old song that describes our contact with Jesus in a "telephone" way.  "Telephone to glory, oh, what joy divine!  I can feel the current moving on the line.  Made by God the Father for His very own,  You may talk to Jesus on this royal telephone.  Central's never busy, always on the line,  You can hear from heaven almost any time.  'Tis a royal service, built for one and all,  When you get in trouble, give this royal line a call."  Thru internet magic, you can Youtube it.  What I want to say is that ALL OF US have direct contact with Jesus (God).  You  and I, both, are in contact with God...at least, He is in contact with us.  You are SPECIAL. 

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  The merchant of Venice reminds me of ninth grade at John Deere!===JACK:  We were in that class together.  That was my introduction to Shakespeare.  I didn't realize how important "that class" was at the time.  I think that we had some writing assignments, too, that provided a foundation for future sermons and Winning Words.

FROM SK IN SJ:   Are you trying to burst my bubble?  I love glitz and glitter. Yes many things are fake. Just gotta Sort it out and go for the gusto! Ha! Love to hear from you, Jack!===JACK:  "Glitz and glitter" may define you, but so what?  But you have "glitz and glitter" on the inside, too.  A  "bubbly-person" can also describe you.  We are who we are!  I wonder...did anyone ever compare you with Phyllis Diller?  I would say that you're more the Carol Channing type.

FROM BB IN CHGO:  I love Shakespeare and also thought you might enjoy reading or recalling JRR Tolkein’s poem using that phrase from the Hobbit books.   Your Einstein quote was a great one also.  I’ve been reading fact-check sources after both DNC and RNC speeches an am amazed at how much is labelled either “False” (then backed up with substantive resources) or “misleading”.  Wouldn’t it be great if we could all see the truth, even when it is hidden or obfuscated.
“All that is gold does not glitter,  Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,  Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
 From the ashes a fire shall be woken,  A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,  The crownless again shall be king.”  (J.R.R.Tolkien)
===JACK:  As for the campaign speeches...I already know how I'm going to vote.  "Don't try to confuse me with "the facts."  I like JRRK's way with words.  He often says what I think.

FROM TS IN LV:  Just checking in on you during this hot spell, and hope you are doing well.  I thought the attached Winning Words were especially meaningful.  I like the Sheryl Crow song that says “It’s not having what you want, but wanting what you have”===JACK:  I like Sheryl Crow, and her words seem to fit.  Thanks

FROM DAZ IN CO:  Lots of fakes including fake e-mails and phone calls===JACK: "Fake" churches, too!


No comments: