Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Jack’s Winning Words 8/11/20
“Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.”  (Gucci slogan)  I still have the Flexible-Flyer sled that I bought with my paper route money.  I could have gotten something cheaper, but I wanted “the best.”  Matt will only buy Snap-on tools.  Others cost less, but they’re not as good.  When you purchase Guccis, you get more than the GG logo.  I’m amazed at the price of Air Jordans, but I’m told that they’re the best.  What quality brands do you buy?  ;-) Jack



FROM THE FISH IN NOVA SCOTIA:  That saying was a quote from Sir Henry Royce and was used very appropriately as a Rolls-Royce slogan:  https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Henry_Royce
===JACK:  I can always count on you to come up with "something" to enhance the day's WWs. 
===FISH:  just as the name Rolls-Royce became used widely as a descriptor (for instance, I think both our next-door neighbors consider John Deere lawn tractors as "the Rolls-Royce of garden tractors", you may remember the expression "It's a real Doozy." It started out as awed colloquial reference to the Duesenberg automobiles,produced by Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg until the company failed in the mid-30s, but gradually became used to describe any extreme example of something, say a Doozy of a headache.===JACK:  "It's a Doozy" is a great slogan.  So is "Nothing runs like a Deere."  I grew up in Moline, Illinois, the "home" of John Deere.  In fact, Moline is called, "The Plow City."  ...and, NO< John Deere was not one of my playmates.

FROM ST PAUL:  i owned 5 pre-0wned Pontiac Bonnevilles in my lifetime.  all still under warranty when i bought them. i got 200,000 miles out of each one. .  great cars that never gave me any real trouble at all.  and then they stopped making them!   what?   then we bought a Buick.  also a good car.===JACK:  I also had a Bonnie that I purchased from an estate.  It had all of the bells and whistles.  It was then passed on to my granddaughter who enjoyed it for a few years. Pontiacs were good cars, but they had to share the same market with Olds and Buick.  Buick was the survivor.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:   Marie Callender frozen pie shells are the best of that item, and her pies are always very good! (You might know I'd choose a food item!) Walker shortbread cookies are the
best of Scottish shortbreads; LINDOR Balls the best chocolate; Easy Spirit shoes are great for us old gals!  But I've found the store brand of many grocery items, and in the clothing line are just as "qualified" as the name brands!  Amazing you've had the Flexible flyer all these years. We,
too, always bought Flexible flyer sleds and toboggans, etc. for our kids!===JACK:  All of my shoes are New Balance...and I like Hershey's Kisses.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:   "Black Rifle Coffee and Starbucks." Excellent company ran by former Veterans.  I use both. I think Black Rifle is slightly better.===JACK:  Starbucks (Sumatra) is my favorite.  In Minnesota the Caribou brand is popular.  I like their dark roast as well as Starbucks.

FROM WILLMAR REV:  The ones by friends recommend . . . he's retired now, but for years I would tell "Chuck" who owned a used car lot how much money I had to spend, to look for a good deal and let me know. I have a few friends who look towards me as well in dealing with their spiritual needs. Nice to have friends like you, Jack!! 0;-) ===JACK:  A car dealer friend recommended not buying new cars.  Get one with 10,000 to 20,000 miles on it.  That's the best buy...and there's little risk.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I don’t shop!===JACK:  I saw a site for "What to buy when you don't need anything."  You can go out and buy a pink flamingo float for your backyard swimming pool, or you can buy purple shampoo to give your hair a new color.===SHIRL:  I can just picture floating in your flamingo tube with your purple hair.  Cute!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Our furniture is quality, clothes are good quality at least for us...nothing expensive.  Gary likes craftsman or snap-ons also.  We are simple folks and just want good things but not necessarily expensive things.===JACK: For five bucks, you can order this plaque for your farmhouse wall.  I'M BEGINNING TO LEARN THAT IT IS THE SWEET, SIMPLE THINGS OF LIFE WHICH ARE THE REAL ONES, AFTER ALL  Laura Ingalls Wilder===JUDY:  One of my all-time favorite authors!

FROM SK IN SJ:  A Vera Bradley purse! My son HAD to have Air Jordan tennis shoes when he played basketball in high school, ha!! It does feel good sometimes to get name brand thing. Take care!===JACK:  I agree.  You feel real special when you splurge and get the best.

FROM SALON SUZY:  Me for sure!===JACK:  Ask my son to tell you some stories.

No comments: