Friday, August 14, 2020


Jack’s Winning Words 8/14/20
“Talking about music is like dancing about architecture.”  (Steve Martin)  Excuuuuse me! but that Wild and Crazy Guy is 75 today.  Steve cracks me up with off-beat humor that you have to think about…like today’s quote and his movie, “The Jerk,” a film that adds humor to racism.  I have “The Crow,” a CD of him playing the banjo.  Back to the quote…Describe for me one of your favorite pieces of music, or what dance is it that describes the Notre Dame Cathedral?  :-)  Jack  


FROM WILLMAR REV:  Church hymns have always been a blessing to my life...too many to narrow one particular one, but one close to the top- “ Blessed Assurance, Jesus is mine. Oh what a foretaste if glory divine. Heir of Salvation, purchased of God, born of His Spirit, washed in His blood!” As we say down south, “Thank you, Jesus!” 0;-)===JACK:  I'm preaching online this Sunday, building my sermon around the hymn, Great Is Thy Faithfulness.===REV:    Welcome back to the pulpit!! 0;-)===JACK:  It seemed strange to preach to a camera instead of a congregation...at least, no sleepers.===REV:  When pastoring over in Eastpoint, then known as East Detroit back then, I stood in the chapel at St John’s Hospital every Tuesday, spoke out to a camera placed up in the balcony telecasting my short devotional and competing at the same time with Bingo being played on another in-house television station. I pretended every patient was hanging on every great spiritual truth I presented with baited breath; however, it was never confirmed publicly! 0;-)

FROM THE FISH IN N OVA SCOTIA:  Jack—you asked what dance describes the Notre Dame Cathedral. Two of my favorite Bach pieces to play are from the first book of The Well-Tempered Klavier and illustrate very different types of architecture. Prelude I, most commonly heard as the accompaniment to Gounod’s Ave Maria but a great statement on its own, is like a Fractal Mathematics, Science of Chaos formula that uses a single eight-note figure to generate a pulsating, evolving structure that reminds me of a curtain-type aurora generating all the colors of the rainbow. Most recently, I played it at a mini-church service at our house, instigated and organized by one of my two cc’s and presided over by the other.  Fugue V is a massive fugue featuring five voices (when it gets to full swing) and three different melodies at once. I used it at a conference on designing organization structures to illustrate the integration of structure, process and strategy, but over the decades I have used it a few times to symbolize a church. The first melody is like the  structure of a cathedral, conveying a sense of physical strength and stability. The second is a fluid line that reminds me of countless generations of congregational members passing through it. The third is like a trumpet call symbolizing the Word of God.  Oops, I mean Fugue IV. With his fascination with numbers, Bach would not have been impressed that I couldn’t count to 4,  (===JACK:  You've given some good examples of "talking" about music, but I'm waiting for a video showing you dancing to describe the ND Cathedral.  I'll have it graded by a WWs watcher who's a retired professor of architecture.

FROM HOWARD ROSENBERG (Docent at the Detroit Institute of Arts): Next Thursday on the DIA presentation I will be talking about a Painting of Notre Dame Cathedral by an AMerican Impressionist, Childe Hassam. I like the idea of a dance representing an iconic place like this.===JACK:   You might discuss this with "the DIA staff" and come up with a dance that you can do to describe the painting.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Kimberly and Andy follow him on Instagram.  He has always been one of my top actors.  We have all of his banjo CD’s and play them often.  Today is a special day for music.  Our oldest grandson, Joshua, is getting married to Kassy, his long-time girl friend.  Music plays a very important place in our lives...Gary and I were in choir together for over 60 years....Joshua has performed professionally on his guitar and drums and all the grandkids sing in their church choirs.     My favorite song by far is “Peace Like a River”.  Hymns are most important in my life.  But to dance too...give me an old fashioned polka.  We’ve been dancing an singing since tiny tots.     What’s your favorite song?===JACK:  I seem to remember when Joshua was born...and when you and Gary were singing in the CofG Choir.  Am I that old?  But I'm still preaching (at least this Sunday).  I'll be referring to one of my favorite hymns, Great Is Thy Faithfulness.  I can't say that I have "A" favorite song.  It depends on the mood and the situation. 

FROM ST PAUL:  good one, Jack   something to really think about.===JACK:  I think that you have used liturgical dance in your ministry.  We once had a member dance to the Lord's Prayer as it was sung.  It was beautiful!===SP:  and didn't David dance naked before the Lord?   that would not fly in my ELCA churches😀===JACK:  You're not referring to "my" David, are you?  I've noticed that all ELCA churches are similar, but not the same.===SP:  i hope not.    sotv is a fairly liberal church but i hope not THAT liberal:):):)===JACK:  How would Nadia Bolz-Weber go over as the Senior Pastor?===SP:  she has waaay too many tattoos to qualify.    unless one of them is a detailed map of the Israel with St. Paul's missionary journeys.===JACK:  Do you or Margaret have a tattoo?  One of my grandsons had his confirmation verse tattooed on his arm.===SP:  no way.  but i do have a birthmark on my left leg?  does that count for anything??===JACK:  If it resembles the Virgin Mary, people might show up at church to venerate your leg.  

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Dixieland jazz from New Orleans or Bahamian songs!===JACK:  Dixieland Jazz causes New Orleans architecture to pop into my mind.  I like the sound of the group...Dukes of Dixieland.

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  I have always liked music - vocals and instrumentals.  Here are links to a couple of my favorites...one from America's Got Talent, and one from a young man who debuted on Britain's Got Talent when he was 17 (he's 25 now).  Both grew up with a lot of challenges...one in the Philippines and one in London.  So uplifting to see them not only overcome adversity but have the opportunity to share their talent in songs that are (at least for me) moving.  Hope you enjoy them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01yyvMbrbCg  -  I like this one not just for the music, but for what he has to say at the end of the video.   As far as a dance that describes Notre Dame Cathedral.....probably a very majestic waltz.===JACK:  The Tennessee Waltz is the official song for the state of Tennessee and seems to be appropriate.  If Wisconsin were to have a state song, I'd guess that it would be the Beer Barrel Polka.

FROM LBP:  There is a piano piece by Richard Dillon called Dancing on Light. It’s not too ornate, in fact I’m working on playing it. But it has a great name for visualizing. Imagine sitting in a room with a bright sunbeam coming through the window where you see all the little specks floating about. What if you were to join those specks and float and dance with them in the sunbeam ===JACK:  I can visualize the specks dancing in the sunlight.  Thanks for the insight.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Steve  Martin is SO talented!! I had a you  tube video of him tap dancing with a renowned black tap dancer  whose name I can't bring forward at the moment, but he was a fABJULOUS dancer, and those two were in perfect sinc in their moves. Great
to watch/ might even do the Notre Dame Cathedral honor! :-)  He sings so well, plays instruments, and acts. The real deal!  Very Smart, too. Like the quote today ...!===JACK:  I can imagine that many of my readers skipped by the humor of today's quote.  Some "got" it.

No comments: