Friday, August 21, 2020

Jack’s Winning Words 8/21/20
“Whether women are better than men I cannot say ... but i can say they are certainly no worse..”  (Golda Meir)  This week the Democrats nominated the first woman of color as candidate for V-P of the USA.  Some in the GOP criticized the choice, but if Golda were alive she’d probably approve.  What role do you think gender plays in one’s ability to lead…in politics, in business or in any situation where ability is needed and confidence is required?  :-)  Jack


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Women Business leaders and clergy leaders, and Politicians are much more prevalent today than a couple of decades ago, and most seem to be intelligent and able! I sure hope Biden and Harris can win the election, and show us what a woman Veep is  capable of! Every "first" is  a step for change!  When I was growing up women usually had the choice of teaching, nursing, or office work, clerking in stores...Drs. Lawyers, architects, world leaders, etc.. were extremely rare!  Opportunities are much wider today ! !===JACK:  My 6th grade teacher, Miss Erickson, was my favorite.  She and her boyfriend took the class on a Saturday bike ride which was lots of fun.  When they got married, she had to resign, because no married women were allowed to teach.  Later, when that archaic rule was tossed, she came back as an administrator.  I went to her house and talked with her when I saw a news article about her retirement.  She remembered me. ===OAKS:  She sounds like a great educator! I had a favorite 5th grade teacher, Miss Vanette Johnson, who also had to quit teaching when she married. I think part of that was due to the depression, when you had a mate with an income, your job was given to someone who needed
that income as a single person, more! My mom also had to quit teaching at the end of the year, after she married in March(1929).. Not many married women held jobs in those days..===JACK:  Thanks for the insight about the Great Depression.  I hadn't thought of it that way before.

FROM JR IN ANDOVER:  I think gender plays no role, it is the individual’s  characteristics and abilities that matter.  Does height or weight matter?  Does hair color?  By the way Pastor, what is your favorite John Prine song?===JACK:  A transgender "female" friend tells that she was born as a male with a female brain.  As for John Prine, I like all of his songs, both the lyrics and the tunes.  Some Humans Ain't Human is a good one, and so is Lonesome Friends of Science.  As for a political one, I like Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven.

FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  I do think that  women make great leaders.  Kamala Harris should be inspirational.   Our Naren would have been called  Kamala had he been a girl!===JACK:  What do you think of the females who have been Great Britain's leaders?  BTW, our daughter, Jeanne, would have been Jonathan if the baby were a male.  And, what do you think of gender in the medical profession?  Are some specialties better suited for one or the other?===BS:  I did admire Margaret Thatcher.  She was a strong woman but Theresa May was too nice.  The PM job was probably not right for her.  I worked with some brilliant female doctors, who were dedicated to the job.
Difficult to be one if you have one eye on the clock because your children have to be collected from school etc!.  Physician's in my opinion  cannot be part time!===JACK:  One of the requirements for a good leader is to have "thick" skin.  Currently, in the USA, it seems as tho we have one with a "thin" skin.  

FROM BB IN CHGO:  I’d enjoy hearing your take on this question.  To my mind women are not better, we are different.  I used to believe with women at the helm there would be less war/violence.  Now, I am not so certain.  What did King say about judging a person by the color of his skin vs. the content of his character?   Race, gender, ethnicity should not play a significant role but rather the display of character any person possesses or exemplifies.  Hmmmm.===JACK:  Would Pete have been a better choice because of his sexual orientation?  Would a transgender candidate have an understanding of "both sides?"===BB:  You raise an interesting question.  Because I am likely considered a “Karen” I’d put his orientation fairly low on the list though I imagine it would make him more understanding of the disenfranchised.  I would start with his Afghan/military experience, his knowledge of the culture and command of the language, actually 8 languages I believe.  I would next highlight how he examined traffic patterns and other seemingly unimportant things to get to root of revitalizing the blighted downtown area he faced as mayor.  Next perhaps his scholarship and striving for outstanding marks or distinction in every respect. 
I wonder if he will be appointed to office in the next administration….Secretary of State/ 

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  what color is kamala? indian colored? sorta black? what role do you think color plays in one’s ability to lead? her husband is white, so it looks as if we have reached diversity.   btw, i just saw this, and thought of you... My neighbors were just out walking their dog. During our friendly conversation, I asked their little girl what she wanted to be when she grew up. She said she wanted to be President someday.  Both of her parents, Democratic Party members, were standing there so I asked her, If you were President what would be the first thing you would do?" She replied.. "I'd give food and houses to all the homeless people." Her parents beamed with pride! Wow… what a worthy goal!" I said . . .But you don't have to wait until you're President to do that!"
What do you mean?" she replied.  So I told her, You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, and trim my hedge, and I'll pay you $50. Then you can go over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $50 to use toward food and a new house. She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight in the eye and asked, Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do the work,  and you can just pay him the $50?" I said, "Welcome to the Republican Party..."  Her parents aren't speaking to me anymore.===JACK:  I like the new way of referring to non-whites...people of color.  Maybe we should begin referring to white people as "palefaces."  The sooner we embrace diversity, the better off we'll be.  And your "neighbor story" is typical "right wing," and unbecoming of a unicorn.  BTW, if Harris does become V-P, I think that she is well-qualified.===LIZ:  me, too... the other parties have accomplished nothing but running up our debt by throwing money at our issues, not ever solving them.===JACK:  When you don't have any money, I guess you don't care where help comes from and where money is printed.

FROM DR J:  Whoop whoop! It’s about time!  I think gender matters … woman leaders across the globe show us they govern differently. And their record shows…. Effectively.  My mother used to say, "no mother anywhere wants to send her son (or daughter), or other mother’s sons or daughters, off to war". Maternal instincts matter and are needed in the mix.  My two cents ;-)===JACK:  One thing about you...you're consistent...consistently liberal and open-minded.  As for differences in gender...I think that it's more important to measure what's in the brain.  I, too, heard that about "mothers and sons going off to war.  I think that true fathers, too, do not want to send sons (or daughters) off to war.  And I think, too, that a President needs a conscience.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  None===JACK:  Who makes a better priest?  Male or female?

FROM SF IN MI:  Golds knew things!!!===JACK:  IMO, Golda has been among the best major leaders in the business...and with a sense of humor, too.

FROM ST PAUL:  Golda had another great quote. She said:  Moses wandered in the wilderness for 40 years and then chose the only spot in the Middle East that has no oil and very little water. (most water comes only from the West Bank).  What was he thinking?😀===JACK:  As with Christians, so with the Jews....some have a sense of humor, and some give a bad name to religion.

FROM WILLMAR REV:  I've never stopped to notice . . . both are very precious in God's eyes, especially when they serve pleasing Him! 0;-)===JACK:  "I've never stopped to notice!"  That's a good one!  But, I do agree...all creation is precious in the eyes of God, and each has a role to play.  Are there many females who are senior pastors in the AG Church... or bishops...or seminary teachers?  

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Another thought-provoking WW.  I appreciate that Golda Meir was so humble "I cannot say".  All of us reading your blog and reflecting on what we each think about your question of "what role gender plays...." I don't feel like I can say either but I do believe scripture and look to that scripture "there is no slave and free, no Greek and Jew, no male or female" or some Word to that effect, and actually believe God knows and even though I myself can't figure out what sort of person is the best leader, I am wondering and prayerfully hoping that I might be able to figure out who God wants me to listen to and follow but even that is a serious challenge, just looking at all the different perspectives and opinions on people like Trump and Hilary Clinton, Sarah Palin, etc., etc., etc., etc., Jesus himself.  Faithful leadership is a tall order, thank goodness God tries to give us some guidance on this.  I haven't read very much on Golda Meir but do believe she had a balanced discernment in Israel's politics and appreciate the quote you attributed to her this morning.  I'm hoping Kamala Harris will be a very effective Vice President and strengthen the Biden administration--providing that that ticket actually wins the November election.  Well, have pondered some, looking through a dim glass darkly or however that scripture is in the Bible.  Your WW make us all think and ponder more than we might usually do in the mornings while drinking our coffee and waking up.===JACK:  After experiencing both male and female pastoral leadership in your congregation, have you noticed any difference because of gender?  From a pastor's point of view, there have been both good and bad lay leaders, regardless of gender.  It will be interesting to see if there will be a difference, if or when there will be a female POTUS.

FROM LS IN MI:  None!   There is only good and bad. There is not male vs female, female vs male for the honor of being the best for leadership positions.  We are all human beings with amazing leadership abilities, each of us.  In religious institutions, family, politics, business, advocating, teaching, social groups, internet platforms and any situation you can imagine there are those with ability and the confidence to lead.  It is not about race, cultural background, disability or any quality other than good or bad.  Good and bad is defined uniquely by each of us  through our lived experience,  through our own eyes.   I believe in a higher power and the writings of my religions  guide me. The discernment of knowing good Vs bad is a practice,  a lifetime practice.  I have gotten it wrong many a time when I have needed to know good Vs bad.  I do not give up, nor will I let others make the decision of good vs and for me.  I am grateful for another day to practice getting it right when it comes to looking toward the people in my life I look to for leadership.  Grateful for the guidance of my inner voice whose leadership I honor and value. ===JACK:  "I do not give up" and "I am grateful for another day to practice getting it right."  Those are two wise statements.  You know what it is to have been a female leader in politics, don't you?

FROM NORM'S BLOG:  There has been much written about the differences between men and women when it comes to their style of leadership in government positions of leadership; but , in my mind, most of it boils down to the influence of empathy. Women seem to have a greater ability to recognize and empathize with the needs of the people. It may boil down to a difference between the influences of hubris and humility and the role of me vs. we in decision making. I wrote about becoming more "we-oriented" in a post a week or so ago – See Turn your m upside down to turn your life around. Maybe I was writing about being able to get in touch with one’s feminine side.
We had the opportunity in the last Presidential election to choose a woman as President, but that didn’t work out (even though she won the majority of the votes across America). We will have the opportunity again in the future. In the meantime, we can elevate a women to the second highest office in the land. It will be interesting to see what she does in that position. I suspect that we will see a much more visible Vice-President with a much more important role in the daily governing of the country.   So, in addition to finally seeing the introduction of a vaccine against the Corona Virus by early next year, we can look forward to seeing a new era in our Federal government, with a woman in a position of leadership. Will she be better than men have been in that role? As Golda said, she certainly will be no worse and I suspect we will be happy and proud to have her in that role. Get out and vote!===JACK:  I await the time when we can vote for people as people, for leaders as leaders, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.


No comments: