Monday, July 26, 2021

 Jack’s Winning Words  7/26/21

 “That every story comes from an eyewitness—I think that’s something that as human beings, we never stop needing.”  (Catherine Burns)  “The Moth” is a group of people dedicated to the art of storytelling.  Their NPR podcast is very popular.  The pastor of my church typically does not read the Gospel for the day.  He tells it as a story, and it’s very effective.  It’s almost as he were observing what was going on with the raising of Lazarus from the dead.  Jesus used parables (stories) as a very effective way of teaching.  If you want to teach instead of preach, tell a story. Have you learned from any storytellers?”
;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  Jack,   this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.   soooo many sermons today lack good stories and illustrations!    and if you have to explain the story,  it's not a good one.   Jesus was the consummate storyteller.  and we should be too.  i have about 100 manilla folders in my office just full of good stories that i have collected over the years.   maybe they could be the genesis of another book:):):) ===JACK:  I, too, have those manila folders...and they have some "great" stories.  I also have a copy of each sermon I've preached (going back to the 1st).  I'm not into writing a book, so my stuff will probably wind up in a dumpster.

FROM WILLMAR REV:  A Sunday School grad here that grew up spiritually with them the first 50 years of my life . . . Sunday School lessons, Camp Meetings with Evangelists and Teachers, Revival Meetings . . . plenty of stories and illustrations! 0;-)===JACK:  My "growing up" pastor always had a story or two in this sermons.  I also heard stories about the origin of certain hymns. 

FROM NORM'S BLOG:  The stories over the weekend of various Olympic athletes who have had to withdraw from the competition because of testing positive for the COVID virus. Imagine how disappointing it must be for someone who has trained for 5 years for their opportunity (the extra year because of the delay of the games in 2020), only to be denied the chance to even compete at the last minute.===JACK:  Not only the Olympians...but each of us has a story that "tells" why we are whatr we are today.  

FROM PEE WEE:  Love this. Because I’m a visual person, those stories impact me and remain in my memory the longest. They used to hold “The Moth” monthly at a place in downtown Detroit, and I attended once with friends. The presenters were very good at storytelling.===JACK:  It's interesting to know that The Moth has been in Detroit.  It might be fun to have the WB Optimists sponsor a Moth Contest for kids.  I'll bet that there would be some great stories.===PW:  It may still be going, not sure. That would be a great contest for kids, I would guess that it might best be suited for high school. Would LOVE to hear the stories!===JACK:  I know of one way to make it happen.

 


FROM JO-AN IN ST JO:  My Dad told his children story after story about his experiences during WW2. Jack —-I still believe he could have won that war all by himself. ha ha===JACK:  You've reminded me that people often use the term, War Stories, to tell of strange/funny/informational events of the past, whether they happened in a war, or not.  You probably have some War Stories to tell thinking back to your teacher-days. 


No comments: