Wednesday, July 07, 2021

 Jack’s Winning Words  1/23/19

“We have no right to ask when sorrow comes, ‘Why did this happen to me?’ unless we ask the same question for every moment of happiness that comes our way.”  (Unknown)  I saw a picture of a man banging his head on a table with the caption, “Why me?”  There’s a book, When Bad Things Happen To Good People.  I’d venture to say that more good things, rather than bad, happen to us in our lifetime.  Count your blessings and see if that isn’t true.   ;-)  Jack

FROM FIZI RITZ:  So true Jack but ……(don’t we hate buts)….it’s like when you get an cold or an ear infection…You didn’t realize how good you had it when your nose wasn’t running or your ear wasn’t plugged up and aching, when your body was functioning smoothly you kind of forget to be thankful.   As Father Solanus Casey said “Thank God ahead of time.”===JACK:  Your response reminds me of the guy who was aske, "Why do you keep hitting your head with a hammer?"  He responded, "...because it feels so good when I stop."

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  The shame of the unexamined life is we spend 7x more dwelling on the bad stuff than the blessings.  We are 7x more concerned with loss than possible gain.  Research has confirmed this ratio time and time again.   Spend a few minutes every morning counting blessings (in writing, in a journal).  Presently, my cup runneth over (it probably always has).  I know folks pumping themselves full of acid and bile from Fox or CNN etc about things they have no control of.   Why carry that weight?   One friend, in particular, I talk to most every day is so negative, I try to jump on a positive topic quickly before he engages me with negative drivel.  When your life is full of blessings and you know where you are going, you don’t wish to get spattered with negativity.  ===JACK:  I laughed when you compared the number of your blessings to the number of pork shop bones at a Baptist picnic.  I thought that I would get more responses after using it in a Winning Words.  I guess that you and I are the ones with weirdness in our sense of humor.  I have pork chop bones blessings, too.

FROM DS IN SD:  Jack, that struck a note with me this very morning.  Little problems come up for all of us from time to time, but I try to remind myself of two things:         1.  There are a LOT of other people with really big problems that need help.        2.  I have been (undeservingly) blessed in so many ways.
Some times I feel so foolish when I pray for things that most people would be more than happy to deal with.  Thanks for the reminder.===JACK:  I was thinking about you during SD golf tournament.  What a course!  Have you ever golfed there? 

 

 

No comments: