Thursday, July 22, 2021

 Jack’s Winning Words 7/22/21

“When people tell me I can’t do something, I have a visceral reflex to say Yes, I can(Angela Duckworth)  Recently someone wrote to me, saying that it’s impossible to hum while holding your nose.  (I can now imagine that you’re holding your nose and trying to hum)  That’s called, “the power of suggestion,” I think.  One of the challenging things I struggle with is bringing “distanced people” closer together.  Do have some ideas?  Racially?  Politically?  Religiously?  Economically?  When have you said “Yes, I can”, yet found it challenging?  ;-)  Jack

FROM GUSTIE:  I tried it—you can’t hum while holding your nose!  Ha!===JACK:  You can learn important stuff by reading Winning Words.===G:  I know.  That is why I read it every day!  Ha!===JACK:  Sometimes I teach myself.


FROM BB IN CHGO:  Listened to an interesting NPR story around election time where they discussed how to talk around the Thanksgiving table with a politically divided family.  All I recall is advice to ask a lot of questions.  Ask not only about issues but rather about what they like about the person.  What makes them feel confidence in the person; how the person inspires them or will make the world a better place and then follow up with questions about how they see the world when it is that better place?===JACK:  I had a conversation about this with someone this morning.  Arguing usually doesn't accomplish must.  Just state what you believe.  If the other person continues to try and convince...simply say, "Maybe you didn't hear me.  This is what I said.  Then, repeat your statement.  Etc..  I like the idea of saying something nice about the other person.  Roberta Flack used to sing...Killing  (them) softly with (kindness).

FROM WILLMAR REV:  "When have you said 'Yes, I can', yet found it challenging?"  More often than I would like to admit! 0;-)===JACK:  Yes, there are times when we accept challenges bigger than we can accomplish.  That's when we pray,  "God help me!"

FROM THE "UN-MAD" SCIENTIST:   Ugh. Too often I say “yes I can” then find I have no time to do all those things “I can” do. So leaning to say, nope  ===JACK:  Oftentimes it depends on who asks for help...and what the crisis is. ===MS:  Huh. That’s kind of cool. I like learning the meaning behind the separate characters in Chinese.===JACK:  Maybe you can study Chinese in your spare time.===MS:  It wouldn’t. And I have no skill in Finnish, unless I’m a guest on a kids show reciting my letters and numbers.===JACK:  Is grandma rolling over? ===MS:  Nope.  She deliberately didn’t teach my mom Finnish. Mom was to be raised as an American and to speak English. It was just a silly game for Grandma to teach me little bits and phrases when I was a kid.===JACK:  How fortunate you were to have grown up with grandparents. 

 

Lately I’m thinking Spanish is likely most useful


FROM SR RENEE:   I'd say: FOOD is Eucharist and Communing in any language .===JACK:  Isn't the bread and wine simply bread and wine without the faith of the believer and the presence of the Holy Spirit?   . 


No comments: