Tuesday, July 13, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 7/13/21

“Life is not waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain.” (Vivian Green))  I smiled when Elizabeth sent me today’s quote with the picture of an elephant dancing in the rain.  Gene Kelly’s dance in “Singing in the Rain” is one of my favorite movie segments.  It shows how one’s attitude can turn a “bad” day into a “happy” day.  When the bad days get you down, I suggest a visit to YouTube to watch Gene Kelly dance in the rain….or Google a picture of that dancing elephant.  ;-)  Jack


FROM BB IN CHGO:  Thanks for the uplifting thoughts on a gloomy day in Chicago===JACK:  The time to worry (or laugh) is when you see dancin g  elephants.


FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  If an elephant can do it, we can, too.===JACK:  Evidently you haven't seen me dance.


FRO LH IN FH:  Oh, my golly, Jack.  Today’s issue brought back memories. For 3 years in college in Pittsburgh my mother was Gene Kelly’s dance partner. They danced in all the big band contests together every week and split the $10 prize for the winning pair. $5 went a long way toward helping my mother stay in college during the Depression. Hollywood discovered them and offered them a contract to come as a pair. Mom had her heart set on graduating from college - the first female in her family to do so (a math major at that!) - and asked the agent to rewrite a contract just for Gene Kelly and off he went.  Had she not turned it down, my 3 sisters and I wouldn’t have existed, at least not as the “Hess Girls”. 😊“Thanks for the memories”, as Bob Hope used to say.===JACK:  You continue to amaze me with what has gone on in your life...and what there was before you!  To be a dance partner of Gene Kelly blows my mind.  Did you inherit that talent?

No comments: