Monday, July 05, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 7/5/21

“I’m going to do my best and do my part to cultivate a culture that’s accepting, that’s compassionate.”  (Carl Nassib)  A transgender friend of mine said that, as a boy, she wanted to be like Bruce Jenner…and says, “Now, I am!”  Nassib (6’7” 275#) is the first active NFL player to announce that he is gay.  He spent 15 years debating whether to share this publicly and has decided that now is the time to help create a more accepting culture for LGBTQ people.  Long ago I was taught not to be prejudiced.  I work on it daily.  How are you doing?  ;-)  Jack


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  We've come a long way, but we have a long way to go, too!  When I was growing up, i don't remember anyone "coming out" who wadifferent than the norm..  It was too risky, I suppose.  Now things are much more out in the open and at least being considered.  "You'll never look any person in the eye, that is not loved ;unconditionally by God." That should tell us something!!===JACK:  I think that it was our church who was discovered to be gay.  He had to leave Moline and move to Chicago.  Rev Tillberg drove to Chicago to visit him and took me along (not to the visit).  But he did take me to Wrigley Field where I saw my favorite team (the Cubs) play.  What a thrill.  He played a large ole in me becoming a pastor.


FROM SHALOM JAN:  Thanks, Jack!  As you say, it's an ongoing thing to cut down on the prejudging and be fully accepting.===JACK:  I have grown up from what I once was, in many ways.


FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  interesting that the very concept of “trans” is based on sexual stereotypes, not biology. that being said, you do you…as for the nfl, they pay less for head injuries to black players bc they argue that they have less cognitive functioning to begin. but but but we have a gay player! ===JACK:  Pre-judgement (prejudice) is "real" among many of us.  I fight it every day.


FROM MATT, THE FORCE:  I’m concerned about the church. Our secular culture drives our people now. The social media is replacing any dialog we might be having with God. The Catholic Church has lost its influence. Criticisms of the church are many. Persecutions over our faith are rising. People have forgotten that human beings make up religious institutions. Human beings are flawed. Only God is perfect. Our society is looking for heroes like athletes, politicians, government to solve our problems. Those are all flawed. Maybe we are going through this journey as a country(and a world) rediscovering that humans and their institutions are not the complete answer. Acknowledging and following God are the answers.


FROM RS IN TEXAS:  I think the challenge for the church continues to be getting people to realize the "church" isn't a building, It's a congregation of people who hopefully are involved in helping those who need help.....outside the building and outside that particular congregation.  Don't get me wrong....worship in the building is more than appropriate, but it can't be all we do.  The other challenge is getting the younger generation into the church.   Our congregation has a high average age, and it worries me that we don't have more younger people involved. ===JACK:  A BIG challenge is to get the people to understand what it is to "love your neighbor as yourself."  Too many people see church as a place/ritual.  Too few understand what it is to "follow" Jesus.


FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Catchy WW today.  "Unfortunately there's no life guard in the gene pool."  Another book maybe I should obtain and read but, for me, I'm most concerned what with this pandemic with what is going on inside the church building.===JACK:  There's a saying: "You can't put God in a box."  In a similar wayt, Jesus is BIGGER than the Church.  The soon the better...when we learn that Jesus loves everybody.  His Grace is offered for all.  Too many Christians lock Jesus in the building after worship and throw away the key.  



No comments: