Friday, July 23, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 7/23/21

“Sweat dries, blood clots and bones heal.  Suck it up, princess, this is softball.”  (Unknown)  Anyone who’s played competitive sports knows about injuries.  Some can be serious (for sure), but most tend to heal on their own.  I’ve also noticed that a stop at the DQ after the game helps alleviate the pain.  Sometimes when we grow frustrated with the hurts of life, a trip to the ice cream shop with a friend might help?  BTW, today is Vanilla Ice Cream Day.  My favorite brand  is Whitey’s.  ;-)  Jack


FROM WILLMAR REV:  "I scream! You scream! We all scream for ice cream! 0;-) ===JACK:  What is your favorite flavor?===REV:  Chocolate Chip ice cream gets my vote.===JACK:  Have you tried Cow Pie Ice Cream?  It looks like a cow pie, too.  (chocolate ice cream with peanut butter chunks and possibly chocolate chunks)  . ...

FROM NORM'S BLOG:   The bravado world of sports always seems to glorify the thought of sucking it up, shaking it off and getting back in the game. Recent medical and scientific evidence has shown that trying to shake off a concussion is the wrong thing for athletes to do. Most sports have adopted concussion protocols to deals with the seriousness of “getting your bell rung.”  We tend to adopt sports phrases and advice when trying to cope with life, telling others to suck it up or shake it off and get back in the game. But for those suffering from mental illnesses or depression there is no way to shake it off, there are no BandAids for the hurts that take place in the mind.===JACK:  There is still room for "suck it up" min sports and in life.  Most of the "hurts" are minor ones.  But there are times....  I remember once when the church softball team was playing a game....our catcher caught a ball the wrong way and it dislocated his finger.  It was gruesome.  No one said, "Suck it up."  They said, "Go to the Emergency Room at St Joseph Hospital.  The nuns were surprised to see someone come in with  a shirt that said, "Holy Spirit."


FROM DS IN SD:  Ha, Jack. You know how to bring back memories. You should have taken us kids to Whiteys after each game....yum yum.===JACK:  If life provided do-overs, I'd take the team to Whitey's, especially after we won the championship.  Those were fun days.===DS:  We didn't realize then exactly how much fun it was.....and care-free.   Wouldn't we love to have those days back? I know I would, along with all my friends and family I have lost.  Stay well my friend. ===JACK:  My wife is putting together a book--Remembering Jack.  Maybe she can include a mention of those Moline days. ===DS:    I certainly think she should include the Moline days.  At least for me, those were some of my most favorite memories.  I happened to have had great teachers, like yourself. ===JACK:  I'll put the bug in her ear right now.

 

FROM SALON SUZY:   Love soft serve ice cream, DQ===JACK:  The father of one of my Winning Words "people" was one of the founders of Dairy Queen.  We had it before it became famous. 


FROM RS IN TEXAS:  One of grand daughters is into softball big time.  Had to share that quote with her.===JACK:  Both daughter (Beth & Jeanne) played on the high school softball team.  Jeanne was on her college team and also continued playing until a few years ago.  It's a great game.


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I'm. With you on that! Peppermint! Yum!! :-)! ===JACK: Here's a review of Whitey's peppermint ice cream...."This is a really terrific local ice cream parlor. In the winter, they serve peppermint ice cream with real chunks of peppermint. It is simply the best. Only downside of our stop here was that there is very limited seating. But it tells you something about the quality of the product when an ice cream place is packed and standing room only during the winter!"


FROM ALBION STAR:  I also remember going to Richardson’s in Keego Harbor for ice cream!   Appreciate the softball quote! Thankfully other than sliding and scraping my knee no real injuries.   In the movie “A league of their own” another famous quote is “there’s no crying in baseball!”  Said by Tom Hanks‘ character when he managed the women’s baseball team.===JACK:  The Hanks' quote is one of my favorites.  I liked the whole movie....but what I liked most was, seeing you play throughout your career.  Richardson Dairy was a great ice cream shop.  Didn't they have the figure of a cow outside?


FROM MAD SCIENTIST:  Well a crisis is another story I suppose. But everyone seems to need something. Got to untie from the busy culture.===JACK:  JFK, I think, said that crisis, in Chinese, is made of two characters.  One means, opportunity, and I've forgotten the other one.


FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  Like this one.  Old school.===JACK:  Yep  It applies to more than just softball.  Each job has its "suck-it-up" times. ===ME: As does the aging process itself with ever increasing numbers of suck up times.


FROM ROOTHY:  I love this one!!   Thank you - dear Jack. ===JACK:  It's not only on the softball field where there're are fractures, spilled blood...and sweat. ===R:  Amen.   We are so blessed to have God beside us to kiss owies.  ===JACK:  "Owies?"  I haven't heard that in a while...but that doesn't mean that they don't happen and don't hurt.

No comments: