Friday, January 28, 2022

 Jack’s Winning Words 1/28/22

“Try not to get worried; try not to turn on to  Problems that upset you, oh  Don’t you know Everything’s alright, yes, everything’s fine  And we want you to sleep well tonight.  Let the world turn without you tonight.” (From Jesus Christ, Superstar)  Rock Opera, Jesus Christ Superstar opened in 1971and was greeted with protests by some “religious” groups.  We “dared” to show the movie at our church.  No protests.  The people liked it…the story of Jesus told from the point of view of Judas.  I like that line about trying not to be worried or upset.  Do you sleep well at night?  Is everything alright?  ;-)  Jack  

FROM YOGA CA::  Sometimes I sleep too well at night 😆  🙏 #Grateful that I woke ===JACK:  You awake as woke?  I'm still trying to have an "immediate" definition of woke come to my mind.  I love a good night's sleep..

FROM COPPER COUNTRY PASTOR:  Morning Jack.    I slept well last night.   But all is not right.  Here is my post card to the Supreme Court. ,,

FROM CR:  Love that musical. Within a year or two after the album was released, I saw two church youth groups in my town, Grand Rapids, perform it. One in biblical times clothing. One in modern clothing of the 70’s.  The latter offered a relatable element that was powerful. ===JACK:  IMO biblical stories are always more powerful when copnnected up withe today's events...especially the Jesus story.

FROM WILLMAR REV:  I’m reminded of another time in 1964 with the film, Parable, where “the film depicts Christ as a clown and the world as a circus and is considered both a revolutionary Christian film and one which proved to be influential.” I thought it was interesting, thought-provoking in a good way, and viewed it favorably at that time.  Not being much of a musical fan and may have watched Jesus Christ Superstar to its entirety, I would view it much the same way  and will certainly take the posted line of that song to heart this very day!! 0;-)===JACK:  I'm surprised that you know of the "Parable" film.  It's one of my favorites when it comes to telling the Jesus story in a modern way.  I've seen it "umpteen" times and am ready to see it again. 

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Thought-provoking WW this morning.  I like that movie too and the music, thought-provoking character development in that movie, in my opinion anyway.  What helps me to sleep at night is deeply formed belief, formed now by a history of experiences, other people’s or even my own that—God prevails and what stems only originally from humankind design and imaginations will fall down maybe because we humans are so limited in being able to see the long vision.  What I appreciated so much about Jesus Christ Superstar was the sensitive and compassionate portrait of Judas because God I worship would see something good in him too and not be so black and white, metaphorically speaking, about people.  Seems like our whole society is trying to deal with that polarization now.===JACK:  What I liked about "Superstar" was that it was not a "religious" production, but approached a religious subject from a non-religious source.  I like Joseph's Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat for the same reason.===SS:  Thanks for your informative email.  I wasn’t even sophisticated enough to realize it wasn’t a “religious” production—lay woman that I am.  I suppose it coming from a non-religious source means someone more theologically informed can see all kinds of ways it’s not Biblically based?  Oh, well, I still read about Judas sympathetically in the scriptures, not so much the hard-hearted and abusive people who actually tortured Jesus unmercifically.  Can’t stand violent films.  Appreciate your comment.===JACK:  Sometimes the "non-theologians" do a better job of interpreting the Bible message.


FROM GUSTIE:  When Keith and Craig were in High School our church youth did a production of Jesus Christ Super Star.  They did a pretty good job.  Fun ===JACK: Do you like the Andrew Lloyd Webber music?===G:   Love most of it. ===JACK:  Our "small" church choir put on a production of "Technicolor Dreamcoat."  We even has scenery...and the choir loved doing it===G:  .Oh I bet they did.  Doing stuff like that really energizes a choir!  I remember when BSLC did Noyes Fludde and we all loved it.  The kids choirs were the animals in the Ark.  I was one of Noah’s sons—Ham to be exact!  Ha!  Good name for me right!  Ha!===JACK:  We laughed a lot in those days, too.

 


FROM DAIRYLAND DONNA:  Great musical!===JACK:  What musicals did you sing in...and did you ever have a lead?===DD:  My singing was really in a club during the summer while in college and on a USO tour in 1973 to the Far East including Japan & Korea. I was in Guys and Dolls in college but not a lead. I did mostly technical theater in college and sang in a Madrigal group and in a jazz band in high school. I loved musicals and knew every lyric but my high school didn't do musicals until after I graduated.  Haven't thought about these things for a long time===JACK:  Oh, for the days of tuneful musicals.  I miss 'em.===DD:  The new "West Side Story" in theaters is simply amazing. Hope you get to see it! ===JACK:  ....after COVID.  The first West Side wasn't so bad, either.


 

No comments: