Monday, January 17, 2022

 Jack’s Winning Words 1/17/22

“I do not wonder at a snowflake, a shell, a summer landscape, or the glory of the stars, but at the necessity of beauty under which the universe lies.”  (Ralph Waldo Emerson)  I want to report a robbery.!  Someone has taken some perfectly good words from my vocabulary and given them new meanings: evangelical, liberal, conservative  and snowflake, for example.  On this MLK Jr holiday it’s enlightening to know that snowflake indeed has more than one meaning BUT I just wish that the media (in  general) would understand the etymology of evangelical, liberal and conservative.  Have you experienced the hi-jacking of words?   ;-)  Jack

FROM THE SCIENTIST:  I know I’m having to unlearn some word usages or phrases from my childhood. But that’s ok. I’d rather know than not when what is a simple turn of phrase to me is insulting someone else.  I hear you on some of those adjectives evolving to have charged connotation. That’s tough. How about this … In the kitchen I’m conservative on my use of salt, while my kids are quite liberal with their application of cheese. And with on demand worship services, we can enjoy this family cooking time while listening to our pastor evangelize. Tee hee  ===JACK:  What I did as a pastor "when I was in the business" is a whole lot different today.  I might be able to adjust, but it would be difficult...but maybe better.  We'll never know. 

FROM CF IN KH:  He who controls the meaning controls the message.  I believe I’ve heard something sinister like that before….===JACK:  That's why it's important to check out who it is that's "preaching" from the pulpit.


 

No comments: