Monday, January 10, 2022

 Jack’s Winning Words 1/10/22

“I love oatmeal.  To me, it pops in my mouth, a sort of gummy champagne.”  (Alan Alda)  Like “Hawkeye”, I’m a big fan of oatmeal.  It might not taste like champagne to me, but I love it, and I believe that I do my best writing because of “oats.”  Is there a kind of food that you particular like for breakfast?  These days we hear of vegans, vegetarians, pescatarians, carnivores and omnivores…Forget the…vores; just give me the simple oatmeal (Cheerios don’t count!).  Have you noticed that, in life, too  the simple things turn out to be the best things?  ;-)  Jack

FROM WILLMAR REV:  …add a little brown sugar and raisins and I’m sitting right there beside you! 0;-)===JACK:  I've switched from brown sugar to maple syrup and from raisins to fresh blueberries.  I understand that it's healthier, and since I want to grow old sometime....

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:     have been buying instant steel-cut oats w/flaxseed... high in protein and adds delicious crunch. plus yellow raisins, a pat of butter, brown sugar, no milk.===JACK:  It takes tooooo long to cook steel-cut.  I get my protein by using pea-milk.  Keep up with that diet, and you might reach 100.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Not a fan of oatmeal, tho my DIL loves it! I have yogurt and blueberries and a piece of coffee cake or toast with my coffee most days. Occasionally an omelet or doughnut, etc.  ===JACK:  Coffee cake and do-nuts are in my rearview mirror...and yogurt is on my list of things not to try.  I can't remember when I've not had oatmeal for breakfast  Dark roast coffee is my preference...black...and the hotter, the better.

FROM DAIRYLAND DONNA:  Ditto with berries and a touch of maple syrup 👍 ===JACK:  These days I'm treating myself afterward to a piece of Wisconsin aged Swiss cheese.

FROM  ST PAUL IN ZONA:  i love oatmeal.   M has a bowl every morning.   i have a bowl somewhat less often but it is a very healthy way to start the day.===JACK:  Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.  In my younger days I used to use "Half and Half" instead of the pea-milk that I use today....and it sounded better, too. 

FROM GUSTIE:  Don’t like oatmeal, but I LOVE Cream of Wheat!!!===JACK:  I used to eat that, too, until I read that "oats" were better for you.  Bananas are the fruit of choice when it comes to Cream of Wheat.  

FROM THE SCIENTIST:  I learned to make oatmeal in the instant pot. It’s great. I put 3 pint jars in with oats and milk. I set it and come back in 30 mins to 3 steamy-creamy bowls. 30 minutes?!? Yes, it’s only 6 mins of cook time but has to reduce the pressure naturally or the oats bubble over and make a huge mess. But while it is slower than the stovetop or microwave, I never burn the milk, it’s not bubbling in Vernon my stove, and I’m not soaking an oatmeal pot later. One of my favorite instant pot recipes. Simple old oatmeal :)===JACK:  If anyone should know how to make oatmeal, a scientist should.  Listen to her!  She knows how to rise kids, too.

FROM BB IN CHGO:  Oatmeal yes but not so simple.  I like the Starbucks serving where they provide you with a little bag of nuts and dried fruit.  Nancy always added bananas sliced and walnuts.  Makes me smile.===JACK:  My Starbucks comes from a Keurig (Sumatra black).  

No comments: