Wednesday, January 05, 2022

 Jack’s Winning Words 1/5/22

 “Do not consider painful what is good for you.”  (Euripides)  Before Jesus was born, Greek writers said that it’s better to change the behavior of children by example than by physical punishment.  My father was not into reading Greek philosophy, so I was spanked when I was “naughty.” As I recall, spankings didn’t change my behavior.  Society has tried numerous ways to change the behavior of “naughty people,” even including execution.  Nothing seems to work better than being raised in a good home environment.  As you look back, what was “good” for you?  ;-)  Jack

FROM DR EM:  Neither of my parents were into Greek philosophy either LOL. My wife and I have never laid a hand on either of our children and they seem to have turned out pretty darn good. ===JACK:  Some old adages (Spare the rod and spoil the child) have changed with the times.  "old" does not always mean, "better."===EM:  100%

FROM LS IN WB:  AMEN===JACK:  We never once "grounded" our children...not that they were perfect, but we used other forms of discipline.===LS:  I was raised in a home, in a small town surrounded by my extended family, grandma, aunts, uncles, cousins and a community all connected by a common thread of faith.  Faith in God, Family and Work.  In my home I identified no form of discipline,  there was only God, Grandma,  my parents and my community….. that was the  discipline I “feared”. In raising my children,  I thought that would be the case in West Bloomfield Michigan as I raised my four lovely daughters but that was not my experience from 1983- present….. time brings change and the ripple effect can become a tidal wave.  I credit this small town loving, nurturing upbringing,  with the peace I feel inside and all around me, my faith and my love and gratitude for each morning I awake, not matter what is going on around me. ===JACK:  You're right..."the town" has a part in our upbringing, too.  However, there were some things that I had to unlearn when I moved on. 

FROM WILLMAR REV:  I believe our desiring ‘do-overs’ of ‘done deals’ is what should draw us to Christ’s Cross and His gift of atonement, our salvation and His restitution. We've been graciously blessed indeed! 0;-)===JACK:  Does the "done deal" mean that there's still some room for improvement?  I remember some discussions in seminary about the concept: Once saved, always saved.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  MY MOM WAS A SPANKER, TOO...I THINK IT PROBABLY  WAS A  DETERRENT....SHE USED A BOLO PADDLE &'IT STUNG!  MY DAD WAS NOT A SPANKER, i DON'T REMEMBER HIM EVER  HITTING US AT ALL. MOM WAS THE DISCIPLINARIAN IN OUR HOME!  NEITHER BILL OR I WERE MUCH ON SPANKING, THO OCCASIONALLY I THINK I DID SPANK...JUST CAN'T REMEMBER  IT!  BILL USED PRAISE,AND OUR KIDS WOULD KNOCK THEMSELVES OUT TO PLEASE HIM!!===JACK:  The spankings?  I deserved them.  I can't remember doing anything but "swatting" my children.  You probably frustrated your mother....or maybe she thought she was spanking you, thinking that you were Jan.

FROM DAZ IN CO:  I still remember what they said in the Navy.  They (superior ranks) can’t make you do anything but they can sure make you wish you had , ===JACK:  Like, "Climb up to the top of that swaying mast and fix the electronics (or, something like that).BTW, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE EPIPHANY BABY.

   

No comments: