Wednesday, January 26, 2022

 Jack’s Winning Words 1/26/22

“Our innermost prayer should be that a Hindu should become a better Hindu, a Muslim a better Muslim and a Christian a better Christian.”  (Attributed to Gandhi)  Most churches that I know of have prayer lists.  In fact, I’m involved with one of those lists, praying for a friend who is seriously ill.  A recent PEW-Poll reports that 48% of Americans pray daily, mostly for issues like I described.  I wonder what you think of the Gandhi quote about prayer?  Would you be comfortable praying that kind of prayer?  It’s something to ponder today.  ;-)  Jack

FROM WILLMAR REV:  …with my chaplaincy in AA, the participators are encouraged to pick out their own “higher power” (whomever, whatever, ??) and with this source be the overcomer of their addiction that has led to their divisive and often destructive lifestyle…I ‘ve found most often in the beginning here in rural America it was Scriptures from the old King James Version of the Bible that were used, printed and pictured on the walls…in the larger and more diversified cities it may have been from other religions books as well. 0;-)===JACK:  I have learned to be careful not to be seen as one who has all of the answers.  We are each  a seeker to know more about THE HIGHER POWER.  What's wrong with referring to God, using that term?===REV:  PS- When worshipping in Temple Kol Ami, I asked for and received one of their "prayer books" and often would use one with my spoken or written prayers with our small congregation . . . that will always be one of my forever treasures to have experienced. 0;-)===JACK:  Refresh my memory.  Why did your AG congregation stop using the synagogue as a worship space.  Maybe it was ahead of its time.  We have much to learn from each other.  I wonder if (and how) Kol Ami might have benefitted from your presence.  Was that ever commented on?===REV:  I am guessing that the money being received became an issue . . . the one who followed me was there for a few years (William Lichty) but thinking the third pastor from a previous missionary calling may have been just looking for a place to land back in Michigan . . . just surmising and may be off base in my thinking.    I had a very good relationship with Rabbi Conrad . . . he even helped me and upheld our relationship when two young men from the Jewish News Paper wanted a meeting to discuss the possibility I was trying to proselyte a couple young Jewish boys working in Talley Hall with whom I had befriended and visited with quite often . . . I ask Rabbi Conrad to sit in with us, against their wishes . . . their thinking I was using Talley Hall as a base for my outreach. The Rabbi did most of the talking and assured them we had a well-meaningful relationship, and that they extended the invitation to have our worship services there because a Unitarian Church in Birmingham had extended them the same courtesy. I remember I was using a number of Scripture references that related a great respect for the Jewish faith and we would not have the bases for the Christian faith without the Old Testament. I also mentioned we had planted a few trees in Jerusalem honoring our relationship with the temple. One of the young men mentioned if the Jewish folk would read and discuss the Scriptures as we had that day, we would have a much better dialogue amongst us than that which he found was not the norm. 0;-)===JACK:  I knew that there was more to the story.  Thanks for sharing.  If there were "do-overs", there might have been more good results if you and I had been able to work together in ministry.  Putting the "what if's aside," I'm happy that our friendship has continued...and grown.


FROM PASTY PAT:  Actually I like that a lot.===JACK:  Do you remember that "old" cigarette commercial?  "You've come a long way, baby!"  It can apply to9 many of our religious beliefs, too.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  I am reflecting on the WW attributed to Gandhi and they are making a connection for me to this Bible study I’m taking by zoom at Church of the Master.  We are studying Hebrews together and last Wednesday the Pastor presenting made a point about how we have to discern wisely the perspectives of the commentaries we are using.  He looked at two commentaries and they seemed to him to be supersessionist so he is using a third commentary which tries to avoid that perspective, especially being mindful of the persecution and attempt of genocide that happened in Europe last century of the Jews and other marginal peoples.  I have seen on the news and read in history books how religion can get radicalized and persecute minority religions and actually Christians have suffered from this but also some Christians have also been guilty.  Can the teaching and ethics of each religious faith become perversely distorted?  My inclination is to believe that it can and so conclude that praying in the manner Gandhi suggests has   merit.  Actually though it seems to me anyway that, along with praying for people of other religions, it would serve us all well to be always seeking to learn and understand more about the religious faith of other folks, get to know our neighbors, because religion grows over time and doesn’t stay stationary.  It would probably seem odd to be praying for people without trying to actually know them somehow.  My opinion for me anyway.  Appreciate your choices of WW.  May more peace prevail in our world.===JACK:  Bible Commentaries are only as reliable as the person making the commentary.  Sermons are only as helpful (and reliable) as the preacher.  Show me a pastor who is as self-sacrificing for others as was Gandhi and I will "listen" to him (her).   BTW< Kol Ami is translated: Voice of my people.  Used as the name of a Temple, it means: old traditions will blend with a new beginnings.

FROM THE SCIENTIST:  Yes I could see praying that prayer. Would some see this as being a bad Christian? If we are called to evangelize that only means to share the gospel. It’s not a call for me to force conversion. Instead if I’m to do to others as myself I’d rather pray they each finds a deeper understanding of the grace and love of God, whatever that looks like.===JACK:  Maybe you and I should try it, instead of just writing about it.===S:  Ah, yes. Psalm 19:14 :)===JACK:  Nice try, but I'm not going to look it up.  (Maybe tomorrow)===S:  14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart     be acceptable to you,    Lord  Sometimes just the meditation on Gods will for us feels prayerful ===JACK:  You are sooo good...and dependable, too.  I often quoted that verse at the beginning of a sermon.===S:  Which is likely why it sticks in my head :)


FROM SALON SUZY:  Conviction, working on more kindness🙏===JACK:  Good idea....This world could use fewer self-serving words and more simple acts of kindness.  Let's work on that today.

FROM BB IN CHGO:  Love this one – if we would all just be faithful to the faith we have….===JACK:  BTW....Maybe we should re-examine the faith that we think we have.

FROM EMT SINGS IN TC:  I have just finished a weekly zoom Bible Study that I have had with my same group of friends that I did while living downstate years ago! I am now pondering your Winning Words and could not agree more!===JACK:  The pandemic isn't ALL bad.  It has given us some new ways to keep in touch with friends of days gone by.  Thanks to ZOOM.  

No comments: