Monday, December 27, 2021

 Jack’s Winning Words 12/27/21

“How do you tell a rut from a tradition?”  (Fr Don Talafous)  Religion…and especially Christmas… has many customs that we follow regularly, such as Christmas Eve candlelight worship, caroling, the manger scene, and gifts.  We do the same thing, year after year.  It’s tradition, but tradition can become a rut if we let it.  What are some new ways that you use for keeping  Christmas fresh in your mind?  Or maybe, it’s tradition that makes the season special.  ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  bOTH====JACK:  I have a problem when "the message" becomes lost in the trappings of tradition. 

FROM MY LAWYER:  
Tradition, tradition! Tradition!

Tradition, tradition! Tradition!

Who, day and night, must scramble for a living,
Feed a wife and children, say his daily prayers?
And who has the right, as master of the house,
To have the final word at home?

The Papa, the Papa! Tradition.
The Papa, the Papa! Tradition.

Who must know the way to make a proper home,
A quiet home, a kosher home?
Who must raise the family and run the home,
So Papa's free to read the holy book?

The Mama, the Mama! Tradition!
The Mama, the Mama! Tradition!

At three, I started Hebrew school. At ten, I learned a trade.
I hear they've picked a bride for me. I hope she's pretty.

The sons, the sons! Tradition!
The sons, the sons! Tradition!

And who does Mama teach to mend and tend and fix,
Preparing me to marry whoever Papa picks?

The daughters, the daughters! Tradition!
The daughters, the daughters! Tradition!

Source: Musixmatch

Songwriters: Jerry Bock / Sheldon Harnick

Fiddler on the Roof: Tradition lyrics © Jerry Bock Enterprises, Times Square Music Publications Company, Trio Music Co., Inc.===JACK:  Who has seen Fiddler on the Roof and can't remember...TRADTION?  Not I.  A great song woth a great message.


FROM PASTY PAT:  Covid travel restrictions and the death or serious illness (non-Covid) of several friends and relatives have surely impacted our family traditions over the last 2 years. And then there is the ever evolving change in my perspective —- now viewed from nearly 80 as opposed to say 60 or 40. But the “reason for the season” doesn’t change so we make the adjustments and continue on. Blessings of the season and the new year to you and those you hold dear, Pastor Freed.===JACK:  The hymn, Abide With Me, reminds us: "Change and decay in all around I see.  O Thou, who changest not, abide with me."  I remember the Finnish traditions that were highlighted, particularly when Rev Erlandson was your pastor.


FROM SHARIN' SHARON: Thinking about the WW, I believe most of my family and even the community of Southfield help me not to be in a rut because I have to spend so much of myself, my time and my possessions, my solitude, my prayer time and my time in community constantly being in conversions and seeking to be the most humble and authentic believer in the Incarnation of God among us I can, actually to be of any realistic use to God at all.  It seems to be a full-time job to me and never humdrum because of the needs of all of these people.  Can’t be arrogant and make people think I think I know all the answers but just hope and pray that they see me as a person of hope, love and compassion and trust and having a deep peace and self acceptance in me and a belief in the importance of the Church in my spiritual formation.  I’ve participated in a lot of virtual worships down here but not in church.===JACK:  It is what it is...and we have to adapt.  If contact with people has to be virtual, God will provide a way.  You are a "face to face" person, but when that's not safe, God will provide a way. 


FROM SR IN SJ:  Somehow, Fr. Don's Reflection suggests another type of response to your question about a "rut" and "a tradition". . .but I can't explain why!😄😆🤨 Do you see any connection?===JACK:  What I wrote is what I saw.  For example, two people can hear the same homily and come away with two different messages.  Does it matter?  Maybe, Yes, and maybe, No.===SR: HAPPY FEAST of St. John, my friend!  If you and Joan could be here for dinner this evening, we would have the blessing of wine and  then drink to "the love of St. John"  Now is that a happy rut or a tradition which, at least, I cannot in??===JACK:  I wonder if the other St John ever had the nickname of Jack?===SR:  Maybe Jesus called him "Jack, my good friend"===JACK:  The first baby I ever baptized was called, "Rocky."  In my mind, his name was, Peter.  

 


FROM DAZ IN CO:  I love the way Christmas traditions help celebrate Christmas. Like the things you mentioned. Remember the St Lucia breakfasts?===JACK:  The Swedes in the church that put on the Sancta Lucia breakfast began to die off, and church wanted to be relevant to a multi-cultural society, so they said "good-bye+ to tradition.  But you and I have the memories.


No comments: