Monday, December 20, 2021

 Jack’s Winning Words 12/20/21

It is the sermons that we preach to ourselves (around the preacher’s sermons) that are the ones that we hear most powerfully.”  (Frederick Buechner)  “Thanks, I needed that,” is the tagline of a TV commercial showing a face being slapped after being splashed with Mennen’s Shaving Lotion.  Having “been in the business,” I believe that sermons should be for the preacher as well as for “ the preached-to.”  With Christmas drawing nearer I need to hear that there’s more to the day than “jingle bells.”  I need to hear a reason for hope, that Jesus’s birth means something.  What is “the slap in the face” that you need?  ;-)  Jack

FROM WILLMAR REV:  That "slap in the face" has most generally been the "igniting match" for my assigned sermon, article, or prayer to follow. Nice touch for further thought this morning, Jack!! 0;-)===JACK: Sometime it seems as though gives us a slap in the face...or a slap further down.  Maybe not at the time (but later on) we say, "Thanks,  I needed that. 

FROM ST RITA:  Good morning, Pastor!  Having just read your Winning Words, I decided to share my favorite speaking of the Christmas gospel.  The little boy speaks from his heart, sincere and beautiful.  Christmas blessings to you!  Rita Julius===JACK:  I learn so much about being a Christian, Rita.  Thanks for another example.  I miss our talks.

FROM SR IN SJ:  Often poetry, prayers or living witnesses elucidate, for me, the mystery of Scripture for this season.  Let me give you a few to ponder. 

.           This is the irrational season

           when love blooms bright and wild.

            Had Mary been filled with reason

            there'd have been no room for the child.

                                                      Madeleine L'Engle

Christ is NOW in HISTORY. . .

Christ is in the WOMB of the PEOPLE. . .

Christ is NOW bringing about

the NEW HEAVENS and the NEW EARTH!

                                                           Oscar Romero

                     A GIFT OF LOVE

 When I went to buy it, I discovered it wasn't to be found, not in any size. 

 It can't be packaged or wrapped in pretty paper.

  . .but a tinkling bell can bring it to mind. . .as well as a little bird feeding in the snow or the happy sight of children laughing and playing.

It can only be given.  

And so I send to you, my family and my friends

                  THE GIFT OF LOVE .

 ===JACK:  Now, that is beautiful writing!  I can't say which writing I like the best.  My Christmas card isn't like that, but it's the thought that counts.


FROM DAZ IN CO:  That’s a lot to think about.===JACK:  Winning Words has achieved its goal!

 

No comments: