Friday, December 24, 2021

 Jack’s Winning Words 12/24/21

“All heaven broke loose on the night of Jesus’ birth.”  (Frederick Buechner)  Buechner’s words about Heaven breaking loose are a play on the phrase,  “all hell broke loose,” originally from Milton’s Paradise Lost.  By switching “heaven” for “hell,” Buechner again engages our minds.  Almost immediately we begin to think of what heaven breaking loose might look like and see the shepherds, hear the angel choirs, imagine the wise men following the star, and think of the God of the universe as a baby in a manger.  Was it really a silent night?  ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  , i once saw 3 great sermons titles for Christmas Eve:   Congratulations,  Joseph, it's a God!            Lessons from a Girl in Trouble (better for Advent 4)   and finally,   Special Delivery from Heaven.===JACK:  Ny intern pastor was a "stickler" for sermon titles that would pique the interest of the people.  When I had the opportunity to preach, he would have me work and rework the title.  Of course, content is important, too.  You may notice (or, may not notice)_that I try to choose Winning Words quotes to be "attractive" to the readers.  What follows the quote is like the body of a sermon.

FROM DR JUDY L:  Oh I love that turn… Was it really a silent night?===JACK:  We live so much with tradition that we think that it is reality.  We need to pause and ask ourselves, "What is the reality?"===DJ:  Yep. Reading that a lot lately, and hearing it in my meditations as well.===JACK:  I'm wondering...Am I becoming more religious, or less?  I'm feeling more comfortable with my beliefs.


FROM DANDI SANDI:  Good morning!  Wishing you and Joan and your families much love and joy and good health this holiday season! Stay well and safe and keep your wonderful messages coming!===JACK:  G-d among us is what's important.  How His coming occurs is subject to individual interpretation.  Thanks for your good wishes. 

FROM SHALOM JAN:  Christmas blessings, Jack, whether noisy or calm & bright!===JACK:  During my ministry we always sang, :Silent Night, during the candlelighting ceremony, and we did it quietly.  I wonder what would happen if, one year, we did it with cheering?  I would not be bold enough to try it. ===JAN: Nor would I!  Kind of awkward to sing "Silent" while being noisy.  Even when the candles are electric it's still a special time to focus on the birth of our Savior! ===JACK:  How about substituting "Joy to the World" for "Silent Night" during the candlelighting?  NAH!  Let well enough alone.  

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  Growing up in Merrill with my small immediate and large extended Peterson family; and then meeting Marilyn and integrating our two very different families through 3 generations have been my life shapers.  The Pandemic experience has caused me to more fully appreciate my very fortuitous life experience.  Your WW and extended life guidance continue to shape my life journey.  With thanks and respect,===JACK:  The Wisconsin days are fond memories.  I've always enjoyed teaching Confirmation Classes, trying to make sense out of what some see as nonsense.  The pandemic has shown us that there are several new ways to keep in touch with those who are meaningful in our lives.  I've enjoyed both written and voice communication with you.===ME:  An important part of my life.

 

No comments: