Thursday, December 09, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 12/9/21

“Be sure you put your feet in the right place; then stand firm.”  (A Lincoln)  I must have been in 6th Grade when I was asked to memorize Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address…about 250 words long.  History has taught me that it was one of the most important speeches ever given.  Even though self-taught, Lincoln was a master on how to use words.  His words held America together during the Civil War.  What thought does “Lincoln” bring to your mind?  ;-)  Jack


FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Staying the course that he believed was right.  Putting country before self.===JACK:  Those are strong characteristics, not easily achieved.  Most of us are pretty selfish.


FROM WILLMAR REV:  "A penny for my thoughts, a grade school in our local town, and a high respect for those earlier 'political fathers' of times past." 0;-) ===JACK:  A coin-dealer friend of mine said that the 1943 Lincoln copper penny is very valuable.  During WW 2, since copper was scarce, Lincoln "steelies" were minted instead.  


FROM KZB IN THE MOUNTAINS:  The word Lincoln….  My Dad. How much he taught me - how much he is fascinated by Lincoln - and how much I love him. 🥰===JACK:  ...and knows about the Civil War, and the Moon Landing, and electric vehicles, and lots of other stuff.  You went to school just by living at home.===KZB:  How lucky am I ?!?! It’s the reason I am an engineer. 😍 ===JACK:  How come none of my kids became pastors?===KZB:  Hahaha! The best news is that they are so wonderful they could have been. 😌


FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  can you still recall it from memory? ===JACK:  In our 6th grade classroom we had pictures of Washington and Lincoln on the wall, along with the American flag. ===SP:  i recall some of that too.   a much more patriotic time in America. ===JACK:  i recall some of that too.   a much more patriotic time in America.  

FROM MY LAWYER:  GOAT===JACK:  A great response.


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  A very compassionate man, but also stoic, and wise, and able to stand against terrible criticism as illustrated in the "whisper hall" at the  Abraham Lincoln Library and Museum.===JACK:  Since you  live in his "neighborhood" you probably know more about him than most of us do. ===OAKS:   I'm simply aware of the problem.  I don't have all of the answers.  I just know that there some poor people, people poorer than I am.  I want to help them in whatever way I can.  We were poor during the Great Depression, and I'm not going to forget the people who helped us out.  Poverty and unrest are complex problems.===JACK:  I always thought that Mary Todd was the problem, not Abe.  Maybe it's because you see the situation with the eyes of a woman.===OAKS:  YES, I CAN SEE HER SITUATION A BIT DIFFERENTLY, BEING A WOMAN...SHE LOST 3 0F HER 4 CHILDREN, WHICH IS A TERRIBLE HEARTBREAK, AND  WAS CONSTANTLY CRITICIZED FOR "TALKING POLITICS" WITH THE MEN,  SHE WAS AHEAD OF HER TIME, WANTING EQUALITY WITH THE MEN!===JACK:  Eleanor Roosevelt was another woman who "didn't know her place," but who rose above it ands could (and should) have been the first female President of the United States.===OAKS:  iT IS PRETTY UNIVERSALLY AGREED THAT LINCOLN WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN PRESIDENT, WITHOUT HER AMBITION!===JACK:  Whoa!  Where did that come from?

FROMJU IN NC:  This isn't a Licoln ism, rather a Jerry ism.  Sometimes I know where I am going.  Other times I don't.  Either way.....I get there!===JACK:  It's said that there are more quotes from Lincoln than from any other person.  Maybe he did say what you say he didn't say.


FROM DAZ IN CO:  Good choice===JACK:  As a Abe-o-phile, you're one who should know

No comments: