Thursday, December 23, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 12/23/21

“City sidewalks, busy sidewalks, dressed in holiday style; in the air there’s a feeling of Christmas.”  (Song: Silver Bells)  Jay Livingston and Ray Evans, who composed this song were   inspired by Salvation Army bell-ringers, standing by their red kettles.  I have an actual bell used by a ringer and given to me as a gift.  “I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day” is a hymn with a great message.  Sacred, or secular, what songs give the feeling of Christmas to you?  ;-)  Jack


FACEBOOK LIZ:  i learn something new every day!===JACK:  Someone said that it's a wasted day when you don't learn something.  My learning for today will come when I look up who said that quote.  (pause)  It's attributed to Leonard Lauder, Steve Jobs, Henry Ford, Walt Disney, Bill Gates Mark Zukerberg, Jim Rohn, Peter Drucker and Warren Buffett.  Take your pick.  


FROM WILLMAR REV:  Sooo many to choose from and bring back pleasant memories of Christmases past! 0;-)===JACK:  Thanksgiving Day does it for me.


FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:   ,  if memory serves,   I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day was written during the height of the Civil War and one of the verses speaks of that terrible war making the other verses that much more poignant.  take care===JACK:  Despite the political turmoil of today, don't forget that the turmoil was worse when "The Bells of Christmas" was written.  We continually need the grace of God.


FROM JP IN MW:  I heard the bells on Christmas Day is one of my favorites too.===JACK:  While in some ways it's a sad song, it ends on happy note.  Life should be that way.


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Julie Andrews, "The Bells of Christmas are ringing, to tell us the Savior is born; The bells of Christmas are ringing, to welcome that glad Christmas morn; They ring!  (Ting-a-ling-a-ling 3X)_ Oh how they ring! (Ting-a-ling-a ling 3X)  To tell us that Jesus is born!" (Not sure I have every word right, but that is the song. I love to hear her sing that!!===JACK:  Two questions:  Have you ever been a bell ringer for the Salvation Army?  ...and, have you ever been a handbell ringer in church?  


FROM BB IN CHGO:  Cold are the people, winter of life  We tremble in shadows this cold endless night  Frozen in the snow lie roses sleeping  Flowers that will echo the sunrise  Fire of hope is our only warmth  Weary, it's flame will be dying soon.  Voice in the distance, call in the night  On wind you enfold us You speak of the light  Gentle on the ear you whisper softly  Rumours of a dawn so embracing  Breathless love awaits darkened souls  Soon will we know of the morning.  ===JACK:  Christmas is such a beautiful season...the words...the rhyming line...the music...the artwork...the memories...the stories.


FROM SR IN SJ:  Right off the tip of my tongue" "O Holy Night", "Silver Bells" "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas", "I'll be Home for Christmas", "Silent Night". . . .===JACK:  Of those, I'd pick: O Holy Night.   Silent Night is good, too, but maybe I've heard it too often.  One the downsides of being a pastor, is that you have to be so absorbed in the details of services, you can't simply enjoy the day as it is.  


FROM INDY GENIE:  “It’s Beginning to Look A lot like Christmas” and “In The Bleak Mid Winter…especially the verse, “what can I give him, poor as I am…..”  Both of the those songs instantly  awaken the Christmas spirit in me .:)===JACK:  We're on the same page in the hymnal.

 

No comments: