Monday, September 27, 2021

 Jack’s Winning Words 9/27/21

“Put some lipstick on!  You’ll feel better.”  (Mom’s Sympathy)  Recently my sister and I were reminiscing about our growing-up years.  Our mom was busy with a job and taking care of the house.  If Nancy complained about things, she remembers getting the “lipstick” quote…and, she said to me, “I didn’t even wear lipstick.”  We laughed…as we recalled.  Mom really was caring, just in a different way.  Being “sympathetic” means being sensitive to how the other person feels.  If the world had more of that today, maybe some of the “isms” would vanish.  ;-)  Jack  

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  good one, Jack.  i also think that lip balm works well too for the guys...===JACK:  "Just pull up your shorts and be a BIG boy!" ===SP:  just when you outgrow Pampers you start to need Depends!===JACK:  Just you wait...you will depend on Depends someday soooon.

FROM THE SCIENTIST:  My mom will buy me lipstick. I’ll occasionally wear it, though pretty rarely. But to me the notion is about making a statement of being ready to face the dsy or task. Lipstick is an extravagance and finishing touch to going out. So adding it might be a “you got this” kind of statement. For me it’s earrings. For some folks during the quarantine it was getting dressed in “real” clothes. What is your “lipstick?”===JACK:  Did you ever get your ears pierced?  I remember when my grandson did and had diamond studs in them.  In "my day" that would never happen.  Pierced ears were "girlie things."  My "lipstick is the song..."One day at a time, sweet Jesus, that's all I'm asking of you."===S:  I was 17 when I got my ears pierced. It was just enough weeks before prom that I could take the starters out.===JACK:  Growing-up memories are fun...sometimes.


FROM SALON SUZY:  Just about everyday I wear lipstick💋===JACK:  It seems to go with your business.  I've never liked the appearance of a heavy red lipstick, but, what do I know?  I've never used it...nor Chap[stick, either.

FROM PEE WEE:  I love the thought process here! ===JACK:  I like it better than...Suck it up!   

FROM SR IN SJ:  I surely agree with you, Jack!!  4:01 is a pretty early hour for anyone's brain to be functioning as yours does!!!  Thanks!===JACK:  I used to get up at 4 and send out WWs.  But, now I have Mailchimp do it for me.  BTW, do nuns ever wear lipstick, rouge or other make-up?  Or, did Benedict have a rule that prohibited that?===SR:  I am not aware of anyone who uses lipstick or rouge although some "spook" others who may sit by them in the Oratory into criticizing the perfumed ones!!😉😣  I am not aware of Benedict's having prohibited that;  it seems Benedict had more to say about simplicity , fitting in with one another,   respecting,  being the first to be in the Oratory but always doing it with decorum!!😀===JACK:  Was Benedict considered to be ahead of his time when he established his rules?  BTW, maybe the offensive perfume was...Marc Jacobs Decadence.  Sometimes people forget that nuns are human beings...and that pastors are, too.

FROM SHALOM JAN:  I loved reading this, Jack.  We are also fortunate to have a sibling we can reminisce with!===JACK:  My sister and I laugh alot when we're together, because we alone have memories that no one else has...or can truly understand.

FROM HOMELESS:  My first thought is that this was your mom's way of saying that it's impossible to be grumpy when your wearing a smile. Turn that frown upside down. There's a cute commercial for Oreos where two boys have been fighting.  They are having a stare down, and one starts to laugh. Then they both end up laughing together eating Oreos. An endearing, memorable commercial. Oreo hit their mark with that one! ===JACK:  Today's WWs was meant to bring a message and a smile.  At least it did for my sister and me, as we actually remembered hearing her say that...even the audio was in our memory bank. 

No comments: