Tuesday, September 21, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 9/21/21

“And into each heart some tears gotta fall.  And I know that someday that sun is bound to shine.”  (Ella Fitzgerald)  I like this jazz classic and its message of hope.  Who among us have never had a “bad” day?  Music helps me deal with those days…music, like: Let a Smile Be Your Umbrella on a Rainy, Rainy Day.  Some upbeat words from a friend, help, too.  But what helps the most is the promise of God, “I will never leave you nor forsake you!”  What umbrella do you use on those rainy days?  A good idea is worth sharing.  ;-)  Jack


FROM DAIRYLAND DONNA:   How about "Smile" with Nat King Cole. 👍 Have a great day of smiling Jack!===JACK:  I smile when I think of you singing as part of a USO tour group.  I'm glad that you told us about it at an Optimist meeting.  I remember what Lou Grant told Mary Tyler Moore..."You've got spunk!"  You've still got the spunk, Donna!  Keep smiliNg! 


FROM MV:   My Dad sang both of those songs to us-He said Into each Life Some Rain Must Fall. The other one was Let a Smile be Your Umbrella… I miss his optimism.===JACK: Both of those songs are favorites of mine. (Maybe it's an "age" thing.  You seem to be doing a pretty good job of following in your father's footsteps, as far as opim,ism is concerned.


FROM THE FISH IN NOVA SCOTIA:  There is a Blues song I think epitomizes the darkness but eventually strength and hope of that genre:  “Ain’t got no money, Cain’t buy no grub, Navel and backbone  Doin’ that belly-rub.  “But after all my hard travellin’, Lord, Things about comin’ my way.”===JACK:  Great lyrics!  

I like the Blues (as far as music is concerned).


FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  John Fogerty’s Centerfield…put me in Coach…I am ready to play.  Chuck Berry’s Nadine… Honey…is that you? ===JACK:  I like, "Put me i, coach."  My son has also introduced me to John Prine.  I like his stuff.


FROM SR IN SJ:  . . .silent prayer is my choice, Jack!===JACK:  My best prayers are not usually the public ones that my calling requires.  Next week I've been asked to give an invocation for a relatively small group of people.  I'm looking forward to it, because I "know" what's needed, and I'm intending to use a style that I heard last Sunday in church.  


FROM DAZ IN CO:  Ella's was a classic. Loved her number in The Blues Brothers. ===JACK:  Is it racist to say that so many people of color are able to put feeling into music that is "different' and moves me?


FROM OPTY ALANA:  THINKING OF UMBRELLAS AND GREAT MUSIC  RAINBOWS BY KACEY MUSGRAVES    LET ME KNOW, THE REST'S GOT TO BE A LINE YOU CAN USE FOR ONE OF YOUR JACK'S WORDS===JACK:  Kacey writes::  "'Rainbow' is something that I can dedicate to that community, but also to anyone who has any kind of a weight on their shoulders. It was written as a message to my own self, but anyone who is feeling like they need that is welcome to run with it,"  Here's a line from the song that I might be able to us: ""Well, darlin', I'm just tryin' to tell ya  That there's  always been a rainbow Hangin' over your head"


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Sing Hallelluljah, Hallelujah, Gets you  through the darkest day; When cares pursue ya, HALLELUJAH! iT   will drive the cares away; Satan lies awaitin' and creatin'  skies of gray, but HALLELUJAH, HALLELUJAH!  iT WILL DRIVE THE CLOUDS AWAY!!! HA! YEAH!! ===JACK:  Is that from the Leonard Cohen version?  I like how he sings/says, Hallelujah!===OAKS:  I don't know...I've sung it since High school! :-) ===JACk:  The Leonard Cohen version is recent.  Google it!  I'd like to read your response.

No comments: