Thursday, September 09, 2021

 Jack;s Winning Words 9/9/21

“I miss the days when all it took to make me feel better was my Teddy Bear.”  (Unknown)  Did you have a comfort toy when you were a child?  (the Teddy Bear was named after Teddy Roosevelt – but that’s another story)  I read of a fussy baby who quieted down when given one of dad’s t-shirts.  Most parents have “baby stories.”  But, what calm us as adults?  Turning off the TV news and listening to quiet music helps me - so does drinking hot tea…along with eating peanut butter toast.  I know of a pastor who makes and hands out 2x2 quilted prayer squares with a cross inside.  In a way, they’re a comfort item.  Jesus said, “I will give you rest.”  ;-)  Jack

FROM SR IN SJ:  Ah, nice question!  Give me silence and solitude . . . or a nap!😄 ===JACK:  Is the Rosary a comfort object?

FROM DB:  I also love peanut butter toast with rye bread===JACK:  How about rye bread with caraway seed?  or, Swedish rye bread?...even better.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  jesus seems to have rested a lot...pb toast must have butter, too, right?===JACK:  Butter?  No!   I've never liked it as a spread (but I'm different.  BTW, the Bible does say that Jesus took naps.  He was totally human, as well as being totally God.  Naps are a human.  The Bible also says that "God never slumbers, nor sleeps."  He's always on call for those who want to reach Him.===LIZ:  he retreated and refreshed. great advice!

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I don't remember having a favorite stuffed animal or even a cherished "BLANKIE" like some of my; kids and grandkids... Maybe being a toddler and small child during the depression we did without. I always had my twin nearby, and we always shared a bed, so we had each other!  The times before we were  concerned with all the nation's and world's ills was indeed a carefree time!!===JACK:  I had my concerns...but maybe going to Sunday School was my Teddy.  Mrs T taught us so many good songs.  I am eternally grateful to God for sending her into my life.  She was "responsible", too, for the fact that I am a pastor.

FROM NORM'S BLOG:  As children, many find comfort or relief in some familiar physical thing, be it a Teddy Bear or maybe a soft crib blanket, like Linus in the Peanuts cartoon. When we grow up our Teddy Bears and blankies are left behind and many don’t seem to find a new way to make themselves feel better – something to turn to for comfort and maybe reassurance in tough times.  Unfortunately, many turn to alcohol or drugs when seeking relief in in times of stress. Some don’t find any way out of the situations that they find themselves in and sink into depression.  However, there is always someone to turn to when you need comfort, because God is always there.  Finding comfort in troubled times is really about being at peace and the best way to be at peace is to surrender to the comfort of God’s love for you. If you tell yourself that no matter what it is that is troubling you, God loves you and will help you get through it, you will feel the peace of the Lord settle over you like a warm embrace.  There is a peace that surpasses all understanding out there for you if you just reach for it. So let go of your Teddy Bear or blankie and turn to God for comfort and peace in times of trouble as well as in the good times.  Peace be with you. ===JACK:  I feel comforted.  You're just a BIG old Teddy Bear.

 

No comments: