Thursday, September 16, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 9/16/21

“I’m in Heaven!”  (Jose Lopez)    CBS News told of a homeless man who was reunited with his two daughters after 25 years of separation.  In an interview after the reunion, he said: “I feel like I’m in Heaven.”  Having read that story, I began to think…” What’s Heaven like?  Is it a place, a reunion with loved ones, an existential experience?  The house where I grew up is now a parking lot, but in my mind I still can go home.  What are your thoughts about being in Heaven?  ;-)  Jack


FROM WILLMAR REV:  "WON’T IT BE WONDERFUL THERE?  Having no burdens to bear?  NJoyously singing with heart‑bells all ringing,  O won’t it be wonderful there?" 0;-)===JACK:  There are so many songs that anticipate for us that life after death can be beautiful.  "When we all get to Heaven what a day of rejoicing that will be.


FROM BB IN CHGO:  I love your analogy that your former house is now a parking lot but the site remains a kind of “home”.

The 1990’s book, “Walking the Bible” where a non-observant Jew traces the trek of his people in the promised land winds up conveying an interesting point.  He argues that it is the intersection of the “chosen people”, their G-d and the land…that make for the unique covenant with the most high.  A place to call home, the land (even though they were nomads?) was very important in feeling protected and in right relationship with God.===JACK:  At the breakfast counter this morning we came to the conclusion that "home" is an existential experience, but what do we know?  Home is what you make it!


FROM THE VIKING:  There won’t be any “us” and “them” it will be we. ===JACK:  ...and Viking fans will link arms with Packer fans and God will be wearing a Honolulu Blue and Silver robe.===V:  Mike assumes the Chicago Bears will be with the devil.===JACK:  As I was growing up, the Bears were my favorite team and Halas was my favorite coach.  The husband of one of the WW readers was drafted by the Bears, but chose to become a pastor instead.

 


FROM SR IN SJ:  I experience the closeness of heaven in the words. . .and experience. . . of St. John Chrysostom: whenever we lose someone we love, that person is no longer where s(he) was but now is wherever YOU are!  At this time, I experience reunion with six members of my immediate family and a number of my beloved monastic sisters who are waiting for me.===JACK:  There's a saying, "Wherever I am, God is."  That's a comforting thought.  The idea of loved ones waiting to greet us in Heaven is a comforting thought, although there are "logisitcal" problems with that.  That's my problem, not God's.  There's another saying: "It's in the hands of God."  I'm satisfied with that.  A seminary professor taught...YOU CAN'T FIND GOD AT THE END OF A LOGICAL SYLLOGISM..., 'WOU CAN'T UNSCREW THE INSCRUTABLE.===SR: AMEN", spoken and written, ===JACK:  Do sisters ever call out, AMEN, when they agree with something?===SR:  metimes, when we have blacks, Bahamians or those who are prone to do that wonderful AMEN in the assembly, we' ll get to say AMEN.  Normally, we would clap.. .but it doesn't happen often! especially in a principally German community , as ours happens to be!😒 ===JACK:  I once was preaching in an inner-city Detroit.  I was taken aback by the shouts of "AMEN" from the congregation.  After awhile it spurred me on to be more relaxed in what I was saying.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I don't think it is a place, as much as a condition, and it seems there is some reunion involved, and becoming part of Jesus /God connection!  I'm sure if our mortal minds could envision the eternal, Jesus would have been more specific with details.  But eye has not seen, neither has entered into the mind of man, the things prepared for those who love Him!"  So we "guess"!===JACK:  That's pretty good theology, I'd say.


FROM FLYIN' CHUCK:  If there is Heaven on Earth Jack, I have lived it! Blessed! Hope this finds you Happy and well. Love you.===JACK:  Too few people reralize that Heaven is an experience.  The old MTM tv show had an opening song: "Love is all around.   

 

No comments: