Friday, September 10, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 9/10/21

“May you live in changing times.”  (Ancient Chinese curse)  What if the word, changing, in this quote was changed to exciting?” ,,or to interesting?  In fact, this “curse” has been translated in each of these ways.  Which do you think represents the times we’re living in now: changing – exciting -  interesting?  Perhaps it’s a combination.  Maybe I have my head in the clouds, but I don’t see any of the three as a curse.  Yes, there are the…pandemic and political division and wealth discrepancy and climate change – In spite of it all, “Ain’t life grand?  Yes?  No?  I guess it all depends on how you look at it.  May you live in a time that appeals to you!  ;-)  Jack


FROM LS IN WB:  I continue to look forward to and read your Winning Words and a few other sources each morning to lead my mind to speak with words of gratitude for the miracles that will be shown to me if I am in gratitude.  I set intention to be grateful. Yes,  all the changes, excitement, and interesting moments I am grateful. I live in gratitude.  The 23rd Psalm carries me.  Prayers for your continued good health and joy as you share your words.  I hold appreciation for your emails. ===JACK:  I'm always glad to know when the arrow hits the target.


FROM THE VIKING:    Life is grand! Just wake up and say —Okay God what adventures are we going on today?===JACK:  My adventure was to go to Kay's Kitchen for s cuppa coffee and a Western Omelet.  Mmmm.


FROM WILLMAR REV:  Makes me think of a monthly open book test I take with the home care and hospice company I'm a chaplain with. It's given to teach, train and refresh the memory of its employed with the company's policies and procedures . . . there are several answers, "all of the above". 0;-)===JACK: With your knowledge and experience, you could be the teacher.===REV:  Tooo much government bureaucracy for my taste…a caring old fashion country pastor with hopefully common sense is about all I’m good for…reminded this week in and around Ann Arbor how much I enjoy rural Minnesota. 0;-)===JACK:  While we'd like to live in a world for enjoyment...sometime we are called to live and work in some of un-enjoyable places.  There are pastors who would not want do the work that you have chosen to do.  "We bloom where we are planted."


FROM THE SCIENTIST:  Changing + interesting + exciting = uncertain?  uncertain would likely be a curse in ancient times, don’t you figure?===JACK:  The 'curse" - ancient or modern - is changing times.  So many people cling to the past, disliking change.  I've seen it in some churches.  "Give me that old-time religion"...and don't mess around with it."


FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  the one thing that never changes? ever more taxes to pay for all the "problems" they fabricate to make themselves relevant.===JACK:  I'm one who doesn't mind paying taxes...for all the benefits I receive from them.  My "neighbors" and I, in co-operation enjoy life in ways that we couldn't, if we were to go-it-alone.  With most anything, there's waste...even wasted words. ===L:  why should the rich pay more? disincentive is not a good business model for an economy.  empathy is passive. throwing money at a problem is passive. teaching people self-respect and self-sufficiency is "active." the best way to teach self-respect is to expect of others, as we expect of ourselves. that is equality. ===JACK:  You're riding your hobby horse again, trying to sell your political agenda.  IMO, the rich helping the poor is a basic message from the Bible.  It's a matter of caring for those in need.  For you to lump the poor into a group asking for handouts is disingenuous.  Read again the story of the rich man and Lazarus 

Luke 16:19-31, and tell me what you think of that.


FROM GUSTIE:  You don’t want my answer.  I would say disgusting.===JACK:  May you live in disgusting times!  Now, that really is a curse.  But you tell it like it is...from your point of view. 


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  This "endless" pandemic has certainly been a challenge I  could have lived without!!  But at least we have vaccines which they didn't have in scourges in the past! I have never minded change too much, tho I feel many changes of morality and acceptance have not been desirable!  But live in my little corner of the world, pay my taxes, and try to live LOVE to those around me!!===JACK:  I see you as one who does not want to lived in a "cursed" world.  Job, in the midst of great suffering, heard his friends say, Curse God and die."  But Job resposed, "Yet, though He slay me, yet will I trust Him."  You are firmly in Job's corner...and he needed a friend, such as you. 


FROM SR IN SJ:  You are surely unique, Jack!  May you too live with joy. . . ===JACK:  God has made us each, unique.  Let us celebrate that we are wonderfully made and that God loves us each personally.

No comments: