Tuesday, September 07, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 9/7/21

“Progress is not created by contented people.”  (Frank Tyger)  The phrase, “The natives are restless”, is from a movie about creatures who are ½ beast and ½ human, but restlessness can apply to reality when people are impatient, annoyed or upset about something.    Right now I’m trying to foresee the progress that will come from America’s unrest.  Do you have any thoughts about the good that come out of the bad?  Have you seen examples of it in your experience?  The hope that I have is based on the biblical promise that love wins in the end.  ;-)  Jack 


FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:     that is the hope and also the promise===JACK: "My hope is built on nothing less." 


FROM WILLMAR REV:  Quote of the day: “The one who reads the newspaper knows what happening in the world. The one who reads his Bible knows why.” 0;-)===JACK:  Ok! The Bible tells us, why...Now, what do we do about fixing it?  Give concrete examples.===REV:  You and I can’t fix a broken world because we are His followers (Matthew 24:9)…USA certainly has a lot of ideas, unfortunately not everyone is on the same page as to who has the upper hand in the management of them.  “This little light of mine, I’m going to let it shine, This little light of mine, I’m going let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine!” 0;-)===JACK:  Sometimes we make the simple too complicated.  Sometimes we make the complicated too simple.  To know what's needed...that's our business as pastors.


FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  people are seeing firsthand what they did not learn from history books... ===JACK:  History is like a flowing river...It's here, and then it's gone.  I can tell you about some things I experienced in the past, but I can't tell you about slavery, only what I've read about it.===LIZ:   knowledge is a river also... we need to keep reading, researching... and thinking.===JACK:  Of course!

 


FROM THE SCIENTIST:  You’ve got to be open to growth. Change is hard. Listening with an open mind is hard. Sometimes a kick in the pants is what it takes to know that the “always has been” needs to be revisited … or maybe overhauled. ===JACK:  I was going to suggest that you change "You've..." to "One has to be open to growth."  Then I realized, I, too, need a kick in the pants once in a while.


FROM TRIHARDER:  Except, I wish the companies would stop progressing on the phones they sell. More and more featured I never knew I couldn't do without===JACK:  People who call "in person" are simply trying to make a living, doing what they're being paid to do.  Ro-bo calls" are the one I can do without, especdially the political ones.


FROM THE VIKING:   L.R. Knost wrote: Do not be dismayed by the brokenness in the world.  All things break. And all things can be mended.  The broken world waits in darkness for the light the light that is you.===JACK:  What a great illustrative quote!  Given another life, you would make a great preacher.


FROM DR J:  Post 911… days/weeks/months after felt like a better America… united and looking out for one another. Days/weeks/few months post COVID-19 March 2020… somewhat better America… all in it together… but somehow that shifted into a political battle over masks and vaccines. Sad… just when we need each other!===JACK:  In both instances that you've mentioned, it's all in the way you look at it.  You have chosen to stress the positive, while I know that you're aware of the negatives.  You've made the better choice.


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Tygor certainly has a point;  I don't  have a clue as to what the future will bring, but Space Travel seems forthcoming, I hope some medical miracles like eliminating cancer and help for failing hearts are in the picture.  Artificial intelligence is really coming to the forefront; Kind of scary, really!  Controlling Nuclear Weapons remains the big challenge!!!===JACK: I don't expect any of that in my lifetime, but that's why we have passing generations ... new experiences.  My first grandchild was born recently.  She's the one to benefit by what you have dreamed of.  It always was.  It always will be...unless God has other plans that we don't know of.


FROM MD IN BS:  Yep. That's why we have elections and voting with our dollars. Love won't win in the end until radical potty mouths settle down and everyone especially politicians start respecting each other.===JACK:  Sometimes I see HUMANITY as a game that God is allowing to be played out.  I see that Love Wins because there is a omnipotent, omniscient, unknowable God whose overiding quality is LOVE.  Politicians?  They're just just part of the game.

 

No comments: