Tuesday, February 09, 2021

Jack’s Winning Words 2/9/21

“When something is truly funny, it’s funny all the time.”  (Cloris Leachman)  I liked Cloris in the Mary Tyler Moore Show and in Young Frankenstein.  She and Mel Brooks (and I) enjoyed “funny” in the same way.  Art Linkletter had a TV show, “People Are Funny.”  “Funny” can mean humorous or strange.  I think that God was being funny when He created the Platypus.  Looking for something funny can add joy to the day. Finding something funny (even if it’s just looking in the mirror) is even better.  What’s funny to you?  ;-)  Jack


FROM WILLMAR REV:  "That's funny, I just can't think of anything right now?!" 0;-)))))===JACK:  i remember mentioning in a sermon what a great singer Marian Anderson is...only I said, "Lill;ian Anderson."  Lillian was our church treasurer and couldn't sing very well.  Everyone burst out laughing at what I said.===REV:  You just reminded me of the time I was asked to pray for our mission team traveling to Haiti and misspoke and said “Hades!”===JACK:  Ooops!


FROM YOGA GURU:  Typically - the unexpected humor slant gets me   laughing 😅===JACK:  Do you think that Jesus ever told a joke?  Even thinking about that happening is funny *to me). ===GURU:  My sense is that He was clever and witty - implied humor.   HUMAN!===JACK:  As a human, I wonder if he ever told a knee-slapper?


FFROM NORM'S BLOG:  A person’s sense of humor is as unique as their fingerprints. Different things tickle the funny bone of each individual. I think that Cloris was trying to point out that truly funny things are not only funny to us all of the time, but that they are funny to all of us. There are those who find the misfortunes of others to be humorous. That is actually the humor behind the prat fall, which has been a staple of humor routines forever.===JACK:      E E Cummings wrote a book, "One Man's Meat..."   Can you finish the quote that is the title?  If you can, you can see how it relates to one man's humor....'"


FROM JU IN NC:An acronym for "funny".  Finding unusual nuances, namely yourself.===JACK:  Now, that is something I find to be really funny.   Thanks.


FRFOM HONEST JOHN:  My former neighbor was a grad of Northwestern ....majored in Theatre....good friend of Clovis Leachman.....she was great in so many things.....===JACK:  Are you a friend of any famous person?  I can't say that I am.  Does it count that I know someone who's uncle was Rod Serling of Twilight Zone?


FROM JW IN SJ:  No, I am not starting a new trend of responding to "Jack's Winning Words."  I don't have time for that.  But I want to share what I heard a humor educator say about laughing at oneself.  She said:  If you don't laugh at yourself you are giving up one of your best sources for humor.  She has inspired me to laugh at myself, which I usually do a # of times each day.===JACK:  I don't know if I laugh at myself, but I do scold myself for doing some stupid things.  


FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  I am enjoying reflecting upon your WW this morning.  Cloris Leachman was funny.  As was Mary Tyler Moore "Oh, Rob" and Mel Brooks.  Wasn't Mel Brooks in that hilarious movie where the crazy guy in the institution was trying to commit suicide?  God does funny stuff too.===JACK:  How about the time we took those African girls out to lunch and they ordered chicken feet...and ate them, too, in front of us.  Now, that was funny.  I'd never seen people eat chicken feet before.


FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  my dad loved mtm, cloris, rhoda... me, too! ===JACK:  Today it would not be acceptable on TV, but I enjoyed (and laughed at) Lancelot Link.===LIZ:  Lancelot Link?  We were watching All In The Family.  BUT,lance link! dad loved him, too... i can see how you two were such good friends. and monty python. he never understood that i did not find them hilarious. boy humor ===JACK:  I just some "Link" and laughed.  Now, I have to watch Monty Python's Silly Walk.  


FROM HONEST JOHN:  The author of Winning Words?===JACK: I think that I have a sense of humor....a regular one and a weird one.


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Don't we all love to laugh?!A good joke, a funny true story of mishaps and children's antics, I enjoy them all, and several "Marilyn" stories in my life are truly humorous. (Some only in retrospect) HA! Or  a wry comment, like "The fact that jellyfish have survived for 350 million years without brains, gives hope to many people!"  Adam to Eve as she's enjoying a bowl of fig leaves:  Humm. Eve that's not a salad, that's my dirty laundry!"  Hope we can always keep our sense of humor, it often "saves the day"!===JACK:  I always laugh when I think of you running out of gas on the morning you were hurrying to take your childrenn to school.  Now, that was funny!


FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Always enjoyed America's Funniest Home Videos. ===JACK:  How about today's political show?


 

 



No comments: