Thursday, February 11, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 2/11/21

“If you know what to do, why don’t you do it?”  (Earl Nightengale)  Nightengale was a motivational writer and speaker in my formative years.  My interest in “positive thinking” was, influenced by him.  The “You can do it!” has helped me in my work and in life, in general.  How about you.  Is your glass half-empty or is it half-full?  Perhaps you can look around you and see something that needs doing.  You know what needs to be done.  Earl says, “Why not do it?  ;-)  Jack


FROM SALOON SUZY:  It that free will and self control! Working on it🙏 ===JACK:  That's the secret....To keep working at it!


FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  i also recall Earl N.   did he have a short radio program in Detroit in the 1960s or 70s?    i can still hear his voice in my head.    btw,  my glass is 1/3 full.   what does that mean:):):)??  maybe it means i drank too much!===JACK:  Yes, I think that Earl had a 15 minute radio program during which he gave upbeat messages.  I made it a point to listen to him.  Today he's been replaced by commentators, such as Rush Limbaugh.


FROM SHALOM JAN:  There often is a difference between knowing what needs doing and knowing what to do.  For example, I know there need to be  suits filed on behalf of prisoners illegally condemned; but, I am not a lawyer so I don't know what to do to seek the release of illegitimately held prisoners.  Or, what can I do to seek the parents of Central American children held at the US border? I agree, however, that good thoughts need to be followed by good action, if possible.  ===JACK:  One of my daughter's friends (single) adopted a Guatemalan baby (with the mother's permission) and raised her as her own.  She is now in college...a life that she might never have had in her homeland.  Good or bad?  Kowing the situation, I see nothing but good.  


FROM WILLMAR REV:  Good thought to ponder a bit . . . challenged often walking into the church from the parking lot and discovering a coke cup or bottle laying on the ground over by the bushes at the front door and saying to myself that I should go over and pick that up (sometimes, yes, sometimes, no . . . then too there is the other side-- “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money [time and talent] to complete it?" (Luke 14:28) I can remember a pastor I worked for who would say at times, "We pay you a higher rate of money when finding me spending time doing things others are paid less to do?!" 0;-)===JACK:  One thing about the ministry...Sometimes I think that we're overpaid (we should be good for nothing).  And then there times that I think that ministers are overpaid.  My home pastor never asked for a raise, quoting: "The laborer is worthy of his hire."  I remember a pastor saying at a finance  meeting that he could not go home without a raise, because his wife would be mad at him.  Not good!===REV:  I've practiced the faith position of never asking for a raise . . . with the 50-year mark fast approaching, I can't say it has been a mistake to do so . . . "good for nothing"-- I like that one!! 0;-)===JACK:  Following  my home pastor's example, I have never asked for a raise.  Thjere have been "tight" times, but the Lord saw us through.

===REV:   We both stand today truly blessed by our Creator!! 0;-) 

=====

 



No comments: