Monday, February 15, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 2/15/21

“Lord, grant that I may always be right, for Thou knowest that I am hard to turn.”  (Old Scottish-Irish Prayer)  Jerry Welch, stock market writer, has this quote taped to his computer…a reminder that “I’m as stubborn as a mule.”  I’m stubborn, too, but facts have led me to change my mind.  This world would be a nicer place if more people were less mulish and more willing  to co-operate with one another.  That goes for gov’t, business, church and the home.  Thanks, Joanne, for this quote.  ;-)  Jack


FROM SHALOM JAN:  Whoa!  I needed this one, that's for sure!  Thank you, Jack.===JACK:  Like with sermons...some hit home, and some are just words.  Have a good rest of the day!


FROM QUILTING CAROL:  Oh, this is so true!  Wish we could listen to each other, respect each other’s views/opinions and learn to be less of an I, ME, MY world!===JACK:  I always saw you as a "listening" person and not so as a person who says, "listen to me."  Having said that, I think that we each are mulish at times.  I know that I am.===CAROL: Oh, I can be stuck in my ways too at times, but I sure hope I can ‘listen’ more than be stubborn.===JACK:  I wonder what Bob has to say about that?

  

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  We've all known a few people who were "hard to turn", but probably don't recognize it in ourselves! I've had to compromise many times in dealing with family and parishioners in order to cooperate for a peaceful resolution.  It IS the best wayl!===JACK:  Compromise is "calming", but, then, there are times when we must stand up for what we believe...regardless.  Life can be complicated.


FROM JU IN NC:  While growing up in Northern Minnesota, the winter's could be brutal.  My Mother taught school 5 miles from our farm.  We owned a 1951 Studebaker, without, of course, automatic steering.  As a result the steering wheel would get so stubborn that I watched both Dad and Mom, going down the driveway twisting the wheel as hard as they could to stay on the road.  In my stubborn moments, thank goodness for the times some other caring person is willing to help steer me straight.===JACK:  I remember how, in the cold winter,  the car's motor would grind and grind before starting...and how frustrated I'd become when it wouldn't kick over.


FROM SG IN FL:  Hi, Pastor Freed, this reminds me of the time when my children were in confirmation class, and they didn’t have much time after school before they had to run that class, and they were starving. I suggested we provide pizza, and you said it wouldn’t work. But, you let us try it and it was a success.  Thanks for letting us try!  You’re not as stubborn as you think, LOL!===JACK:  Ha Ha  If I were to have a "do-over" I'd be less strict with my confirmation classes, but I have many good memories of the kids I've confirmed (including yours).  I will say that teaching confirmation classes was probably the best experience on my ministry.  Preaching sermons comes in as a close second.  In fact, I totally enjoy being a pastor.


FROM RITZY FITZY:    I enjoyed Monday’s Winning Words.  Reminds me of “I know I’m right, your facts won’t be changing my mind”===JACK:  Boy!  When we KNOW we're right, it hard to change our mind...even with the facts.

 


FROM NORM'S BLOG:  We use such euphemistic phrases and terms as “set in their ways”, "stubborn as a mule" or maybe bullheaded to describe those who refuse to change their minds, especially about things that we know (or think we know) they are wrong about. Do you know some people like that? Are you like that?===JACK:  I've been in situations where "holding your ground" was the right thing to do.  I have to admit that I've been wrong a few times, too.  I guess that's the story each of us can tell.

No comments: