Friday, February 19, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 2/19/21

“An ungrateful man is like a hog eating acorns under a tree, but never looking up to see where they come from,”  (Timothy Dexter)    Julie gave me a book, Leaves of Gold.  In it, I found today’s Dexter quote which made me smile.  Imagine a hog eating acorns under a tree… grunt! grunt!...unaware and not caring where this food came from.  I guess, at times, we are like that (eliminate the grunt part) that, forgetting the source of “acorns”.  It’s good to have a table prayer as a reminder, isn’t it?  ;-)  Jack


FROM HONEST JOHN:  I know I should not think so but it seems barbaric to me to get your food and then to just dig in without saying a word of thanks  ===JACK:  We use "Come, Lord Jesus, be our guest," or, "God is great, God is good."  If I were stilll in the business I might preach a sermon on table prayers.  I guess that's what I did today.


FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  good one, Jack.   sooo true too...===JACK:  I like acorn squash.  Does that count as acorns?===SP:    i don't think so but it's a lot easier on our teeth!===JACK: Did you know that the seeds from squash and pumpkins can be saved, dried and roasted?  They taste deeelishious!

          


ROM NORM'S BLOG: How easy it is to be like the unthinking hog in Freed’s quote. Even worse than that, how foolish it is for man to ascribe what he has to his own efforts. As bad as it is to say to oneself, “I found the tree and gathered the nuts, so my success is of my own doing”; man takes the next step and cuts down the tree for it’s wood and then wonders why he no longer has the acorns to eat that it provided. At least the hog did not cut down the tre.===JACK:  Le's try to avoid doing foolish things today!

No comments: