Tuesday, January 26, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 1/26/21

“Do the best you can until you know better.  Then, when you know better, do better.”  (Maya Angelou)  Many years befor online shopping, people would order items from a thick Sears Catalog.  Oftentimes you’d have a choice of quality…good, better or best, with best being the most expensive.  Most of the time we’d have to settle for the good.  Maya says that when it comes to life decisions, do your best!  Most of us could show a lot of improvement by just doing better.  ;-)  Jack


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Maya Angelou is a favorite of mine. I've read all of her books, and used to teach "I know why the Caged Bird Sings" to my 8th grade literature class. Many of them continued to read her 'subsequent books in H.S,  I didn't remember the Sears and Ward's catalogues having different quality offerings. Interesting. We sometimes ordered through them or J.C. Penny catalogue. You're right, most of us could do BETTER!===JACK:  Farm families used the old catalogs for toilet paper in their privies, avoiding the shinny pages which did not work very ell...===OAKS:  I experienced that in person, when visiting our relative's farms as  young girl! :-)


FROMBB IN  CHGO:  I forgot about good, better or best but you’ve just brought it to mind.  Loved thumbing through that phone-book sized catalog.  Now, the only place I see the good, better and best is the online FTD floral where the bouquets are ordinary or larger in each category.  Calling a florist about this I was told that FTD charges a bunch to them and so the customer is better (smile) off by calling a local outlet and getting more for the dollar with the personal interaction.  I like that and now always order with a phone call.  Old School!===JACK:  Wouldn't it be interesting to have a catalog, rating churches as good, better and best?  I remember reading about a newspaper having a reporter who anonymously visited churches and rated them much like a food critic and theater critic.  OUCH!===BB:   You’re right, “ouch”!   Like the movies and concerts….I think people look for different things in a church or worship service.  What makes someone feel inspired…redeemed…whole…is different though I suppose there are certain through lines that appeal to most.  There was so much I liked about LakeView Lutheran over the years but over time they were definitely “modernizing” and had rewritten even the creed and Lord’s prayer.  They moved seating in the round – so the people can see the church/people.  I guess I am really showing my age.  When I walked into the old Catholic cathedral 2 blocks from my house (for an 11:30 service which Connor thought was a good time to go) I felt in part like I was in a museum – the architecture, stained glass, paintings and vaulted ceilings but after that vision was absorbed, was taken with the form of liturgy and thought, there is a reason the service has been crafted in a certain way and that the prayers (which are not often very spontaneous unless I get up there) are well thought out addressing the church body, the community and the mission of justice.  Lakeview definitely had the mission and works hard with the homeless shelter and now the new plans and building that I believe Tim is working on currently.  Some how for me, at this stage of life, I like the familiar, the quiet and the kneelers.  We said our prayers on our knees as young children.  As long as I can still get there…it makes me feel a strong sense of reverence and calm.  I still joke with my children that I live “in the snowglobe of God’s love”.  This snowy day I feel it more than ever😊

B


 

Wouldn't it be interesting to have a catalog, rating churches as good, better and best?  I remember reading about a newspaper having a reporter who anonymously visited churches and rated them much like a food critic and theater critic.  OUCH!  

 


 

 

I forgot about good, better or best but you’ve just brought it to mind.  Loved thumbing through that phone-book sized catalog.  Now, the only place I see the good, better and best is the online FTD floral where the bouquets are ordinary or larger in each category.  Calling a florist about this I was told that FTD charges a bunch to them and so the customer is better (smile) off by calling a local outlet and getting more for the dollar with the personal interaction.  I like that and now always order with a phone call.  Old School!

 

Jack’s Winning Words 1/26/21

“Do the best you can until you know better.  Then, when you know better, do better.”  (Maya Angelou)  Many years befor online shopping, people would order items from a thick Sears Catalog.  Oftentimes you’d have a choice of quality…good, better or best, with best being the most expensive.  Most of the time we’d have to settle for the good.  Maya says that when it

comes to life decisions, do your best!  Most of us could show a lot of improvement by just doing better.  ;-)  Jack

 www.jackswinningwords.blogspot.com to see my blog   


FROM RS IN SA:  Awesome words-  dear Jack.  Thank you.===JACK:  I don't know about the word...Awesome.  I'd be satisfied with...He was good, but he could have done better;' howser, that might have been the best he could do.


FROM SF IN BSFL:  You know how much I admire her grace and wisdom!! Hopefully, as we age, we do better. I think I have. How about you?️===JACK:  I think that I'm doing some of my best work now.  We foolishly choose an age for when we are at our prime.


FROM WILLMAR REV:  “A step in the right direction has always proved itself as a step in the right direction.”  I know, sounds like a Yogi Berra word of wizzdumb!?!?  Have a blessed day,,Jack! 0;-)===JACK:  I've always liked Yogi-isms.  I think he wrote a book, "I never said what they said I said."


FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  Thanks, Jack... I really respect this message.  If only we could live our lives like this every day. What a great goal.  When I was a principal, I had one private goal that I tried my best to achieve every day. Make one thing better today than yesterday. When I achieved that goal I had a great deal of satisfaction.  Make one thing better than yesterday...sounds like I need to revisit that concept.===JACK:  To be proud of accomplishments is not boasting.  A good epitaph might be..."He did what he was capable of doing.  Now, may he rest in peace."


FROM SALON SUZY:  Working on it!===JACK:  I know you are, and I'm proud of you.

 

No comments: