Wednesday, January 13, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 1/13/21

“Even in winter it shall be green in my heart.”  (Frederik Chopin)  I’m sometimes asked, “Why do you spend winter in Minnesota?”  Chopin had the answer.  “There’s green in my heart.”  Chopin was a romantic, and it showed in his music.  When things seem  bleakest, search for the green in your life.  It might bring some warmth to you and a warmth that you can share with others.  BTW, what are some of the green things that warm you?  ;-)  Jack 


FROM VW MARY:  Winning Words.....little drops of green!===JACK:  It's good to know that you are reading them.  That warms my heart.


FROM A&G:   Just the other day, I told a friend how very sunny it is in Minnesota in the winter, unlike what we see here in Michigan. (It's been particularly grey this season). Cold, but sunny.===JACK:  It's been a relatively mild winter in Minnesota (so far).  I have to wear sun glasses during our daily 1/2 mile walk.  But...tomorrow it is set to change to a real winter mix...rain, snow, ice, wind.  Time for some Chopin! 


FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  you winter in minnesota? tough swedish genes! 👍🏻 ===JACK:  When the weather outside is frightful, the fire (in the fireplace) is so delightful.  Snowmobilers have been complaining about not enough snow.


FRFOM BLAZING OAKS:  I'd miss the seasons, if I lived where there weren't 4 definite ones! Our 6" snow last week made our streets and yard a beautiful winter wonderland! Our tree branches were snow capped for several days! Of course I have a wonderful neighbor who cleared my driveway and sidewalk ..  Otherwise that could be a problem!  I love Chopin's music, as well. I'm blessed to have a cozy warm home to snuggle in, too, on blustery, cold days!!  There is always SOMETHING to be thankful for!===JACK:  "Count your blessings, name them one by one..."  I like that song...and its reminder.

FROM NORM'S BLOG:  Two recent posts of yours just seem to belong together and point to our ability to deal with the season we call winter - .”  (Victor Hugo) -and- “Even in winter it shall be green in my heart.”  (Frederik Chopin)  Chopin and Hugo both point to solutions to the gloom and depression that winter can bring on. The shorter days and cloudy darkness, especially in northern areas can exacerbate effects of the cold and being forced to stay indoors so much. This year in particular with the COVID-19 pandemic overlaid on top of the winter weather, it can be an especially tough time. Yet, like other events in our lives, we hold the key to how we react to the dark and unhospitable physical environment of winter.===JACK:  We're getting closer of Groundhog Day which, to me, is the harbinger of spring.


FROM SHALOM JAN:  I treat myself to a bunch of flowers every so often while grocery shopping.  They "color up" the ever-green plants in my apartment and give me joy, gratitude for those who are responsible for growing them and distributing them safely, thankfulness to God for the variety and colors, and grateful to be able to afford them.  And, I've found that even the rocks look prettier against the background of snow!===JACK:  What a great idea...sending flowers to yourself.  I think that I'll buy a bag of Cheetos for myself.  They're so nice and crunchy and tasty.  Except they do leave that yellow stain on your fingers.  I solve that probl,em by licking fingers clean. 

No comments: