Monday, January 18, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning words 1/18/21 

"Knowledge is a process of piling up facts. Wisdom lies in their simplification."  (MLK Jr)  I remember the early days of MLK Jr’s marches.  “Why is he stirring up trouble?”  Many wanted to “let well enough alone.”  But then the facts began to come out, and then wisdom took over…the rest is history.  I learned something about ministry from those marches.  I had learned “facts” in seminary.  I gained wisdom as the “marches” made the “facts” come alive.  ;-)  Jack


FROM BLAZING OAKS:   I have great admiration for MLK and his wife, as well. We sat at their table at a luncheon in Chicago, early in his career, and he was passionate about the cause he had chosen to champion, and she was gracious, and very supportive. I have read his books and have so much respect for his words! He was a spell-binder!!===JACK:  His ministry and mine began at about the same time, but racism was not on my radar at the time.  I was in an all-white community in northern Wisconsin, not really concentrating on what was going on down south  in Chicago.  Thanks to you and Bill for stepping up to the plate.


FROM SALON SUZY:  Facts are a beautiful thing!===JACK:  In days gone by, facts were facts.  Questions had answers.   I'm not saying that we  should try to turn back the hands of time, but I have come to understand that every question can have more than one answer...depending on circumstances.  I remember being influenced by the book, Situation Ethics.


FROM BB IN CHGO:  :  Once again, enjoying your words.  I asked my mom about the civil rights marches last night and she said she recalls very little.  Perhaps my father sheltered her a bit.  They watched news and dad took the paper on the train but I wonder…. Perhaps she’s forgotten or, more 1960’s likely she was busy preparing dinner or checking on our homework than watching the evening news.===JACK:  In northern Wisconsin the marches weren't BIG news like in Milwaukee and further south.  I felt kind of guilty not having to deal with racism in my congregations.  Unlike your mom, I did have stories to tell.  

No comments: