Wednesday, January 20, 2021

  

Jack’s Winning Words 1/20/21

“Ask not what your country can do for you.  Ask what you can do for your country.”  (JFK)  For me, Kennedy’s quote could be used during every Presidential Inauguration speech.  Looking back, I see  the years during WW 2, as America’s most patriotic time.  Somewhere along the way we’ve become more of me, myself, and I.  There are still patriots, but I’m looking for a sense of unity, for a challenge that JFK put before America


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I agree. It's a perpetual challenge!  Can it really be 60 yrs. ago?  I'm praying hard for Bidden and Harris as they take over largely dysfunctional gov't. and divided country. Although in today's paper, historians say Lincoln's dilemma was worse. I'm not sure, when you throw in the terrible Covid Pandemic with all else Biden has to deal with.  It will take awhile for all of Trump's "fake news and proclamations" to be put to rest!!===JACK:  Each person's dilemma is the worst, because it's happening to them.  It's not easy to be in your shoes, or mine, or Biden's..


FOM THE SHARK: I use his quote all the time and I practice it as well. ===JACK: I'd be interested in how you compare both of "your" countries, Iraq and the USA===SHARK:  I don’t care about my old country as much as I used to Jack, I only feel sorry for the suffering of it population whenever I hear other Chaldeans discuss the old land. I did however cry today when I was listening to President Biden or when Amazing Grace was sung.===JACK:  It's a great song with an even better history behind it.


FROM DAZ IN CO:  Those were the good old days. But we are optimists and the Optimist Creed still is a good life. guide.===JACK:  I was listening today for some memorable phrasing.  Although there were some good and meaningful thoughts, nothing jumped out like..."Ask not etc..."  


FROM TRIHARDER:  I was 9 years old in 4th grade class (Mrs. Owen's homeroom at Fitzgerald Elementary School in Detroit) watching on tv as Robert Frost struggled reading his poem in the bright sunlight. Then Kennedy spoke his magic words at noon.===JACK:  I wonder if the words were Kennedy's or a speech writer's.  Regardless, it's a gift for a POTUS, or an attorney or a peacher to have a silver tongue. 


FROM SAUSAGE DAN:  Perfect quote and observations,  as usual.  Yes, 60-I did the math.===JACK:  How much math did you do at Bluejay High School?


FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  where did those six decades go?  and how did they fly by so rapidly?===JACK:  Will they still be talking about Trump six decades from now?....probably not in the same way.  


FROM MD IN BSFL:   I like your message. We can unite and move forward restoring patriotism. Need help from politicians, media and acedemia who seemingly try to divide us and sometimes try to make us feel bad about our country and ourselves.===JACK:  In today's inauguration ceremony, I seemed to hear a call for unity...after, all we call ourselves the UNITED States of America.===MD:  I'm with you. Do you think that the name calling will stop. Civility required.===JACK:  Does the leopard change his spots?===MD:  One can only hope. All Americans deserve better.===JACK:  I belong to an organization called, The Optimist Club.  Check out...The Optimist Creed.

FROM DAIRYLAND DONNA:  👍God bless America and the new administration who is starting his day by going to church ❤===JACK:  That's the first of many positive changes that can show someone new is steering the ship of state.


FROM QUILTING CAROL;:  Yes, it would be nice if we could get back to some unity and common sense again.  I agree that we have become an I, ME, MY world and to heck with everyone else.  However, this does not apply to all people as our media likes to ‘group’ All Republicans or All Democrats or All Whites or All Blacks or whatever race.  There are some of us people who can still think for ourselves and aren’t happy being grouped all the time.  I have always liked JFK’s quote as it applies to not just our country but other people.  We can think about someone else besides ourselves.  Yes, it is hard to believe 60 years have passed. He was the President.===JACK:  Common Sense idoesn't seem as common as it was in the Good Old Days.  Speaking of grouping in a positive way, congregations like yours seem to have done a pretty goold job of making it work.


FROM HUIMBUG:  Amen. We need to come together as a nation around the messages of JFK and MLK!===JACK:  I think that we will be surprised.  Leaders seem to arise to meet the occasion.


 

 



 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There past days help to remind me that God rules the nations. I pray our new president will bend his knees before God, which will allow him to better serve our broken land.