Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 10/29/19
“If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.”  (P.G.Wodehouse)  Gruntled is an actual word, just like sheveled and turbed.  Put a “dis” in front of each, and you turn them into their opposite.  To be gruntled is be satisfied, pleased, contented.  We’re all aware of disgruntled people in today’s political world.  I find that life is more pleasant when I look for the good that’s  around me, good people doing good things.  I like being gruntled.  How about you?   ;-)  Jack



FROM HAPPY TRAILS IN NOVA SCOTIA:  is that like "flammable" and "inflammable"?  If you know some German, I sometimes (once every few years) enjoy asking a German "if ungeziefer is an insect, what's a geziefer"===JACK:  I always thought that flammable and inflammable seemed to be the same.  nonflammable makes more sense to me.

FROM DR J:  I like being gruntled too… should I grunt hip hip hurray???  Enjoy the day! ===JACK:  "Grunt" is the sound an oldster makes when she gets out of the chair.(in Maumee).

FROM SF IN FL:  That is a good word!===JACK:  Somehow, I always associate grunt with a pig.

FROM NORM'S BLOG:  I suppose that you could greet someone who approaches with a smile by saying, “You look particularly gruntled today.” They probably wouldn’t know how to react to that.
How do you react to gruntled people when you encounter them during your day? Is your reaction
one of trying to bring them down – sort of what the heck are you so happy about? Or do you immediately share their gruntleness and smile back? After all, isn’t it more pleasant to be happy with them than to force them to join you in whatever state of disgruntlement that you were in?===JACK:  To greet some people in that way might discombobulate them.  Is combobulate a word?


FROM WALMART REV:  You just "undisgruntled" me this morning, Jack with your blog . . . ready now to face my new day with new enthusiasm! 0;-)===JACK:  Don't tell your wife that she looks "gruntled" today.  She might slap you.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We’ll both Gary and I learned something new today...before our coffee!  Gruntled sounds like an unhappy word such as:  I got bit by a gruntled bear.===JACK:  It's always a good day when we start it out by learning something new.

FROM LBP:  Huh! Had to look that up because "gruntled" only sounds like a contented or happy word if you are a pig. I'm sure you saw that MW dictionary explains that "disgruntle" has been a word since the 1600s, but the antonym use of the word "gruntle" is attributed to a comedian in the 1920s, after which it was picked up in more serious settings. Originally, gruntle meant grumble. Fun how language evolves. : )===JACK:  Language nuances is a reason why it's so hard to have a discussion with people who take the Bible literally.===LBP:  You know for my first personal Bible I picked King James since I figured it was an older translation so probably closer to the original? Ha ha. I’ve got a more modern translation now. But it’s  fun to go to an online Bible site and switch between translations.===JACK:  When I was a teen I belonged to the PTL (Pocket Testament League) where members pledged to carry a New Testament with them wherever they went...and to read a portion each day.  I can't recall that there was anyone to explain to us what we were reading. ===LBP::  But did you talk amongst yourselves about it? Or just have accountability to each other ===JACK:  The main thing was to always carry it with you.  I can't remember that we discussed it with anyone...although we may have.  I'm not denigrating what was done...only pointing out the path from the past until now.













No comments: