Tuesday, April 05, 2022

 *Jack’s Winning Words 4/5/22

“No matter what accomplishments you make, somebody helps you.”  (Althea Gibson)  Wow!  I didn’t know…that tennis great, Althea was the first woman to break the color barrier in pro tennis.  One of her supporters was boxer Sugar Ray Robinson.  As a teen, she like basketball, but a musician-friend gave her a tennis racket, and that changed her life.  I suppose that each of us can look back and see a “person” or a “happening” that changed the course of our life.  Who was the “Sugar Ray” for you?    ;-)  Jack 

FROM WILLMAR REV:  ...too many of like precious faith and feelings for Christ to count have guided me along over the years to where I am now, beginning with my parents, I'm sure. 0;-)===JACK:  Is there ONE who led you consider the ministry as your career?===REV:  More than one, but in a “come to Jesus experience” while watching the movie “I’d Climb the Highest Mountain” at home, by myself, and before heading out for an evening of league bowling, with tears freely flowing, the decision was made (over 56 years ago). 0;-)===JACK:  That's what I was looking for.

FROM ST P-AUL IN ST PAUL:  and sometimes a Sugar Ray can also be a Sugar Daddy who helps with the finances...===JACK:  Did you ever have a "SWugar Daddy" at SOTV?  When we were beginning Holy Spirit, there was a member who said, "Tell me anything that you need, but don't say where the money came from."  A couple of times...his gifts were very helpful.  

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Interesting words to reflect upon.  I think, in my perspective anyway, it’s like that scripture in Ecclesiastes, for every time there is a season, a time to sow, a time to reap and so forth and so on....a time for Black atheletes, a time for a Black woman Supreme Court Justice, a time for lots of justice issues and people rise up who are known and also who are behind the scenes actively supporting and the needed changes just come about.  In my opinion, no one of these is actually more or less important or necessary than any other person’s faithful loving heart in this whole rather mysterious journey with God.  Glad and thankful that there are role models for us like Sugar Ray Robinson and also glad and thankful that friends give us the necessary time, gifts and teaching that help each of us to go forward and accomplish something constructive with our lives.  Also always nice that famous successful people in every field can stay humble and acknowledge their helpers that got them where they are.  I’m really joyful over the accomplishments of people, like Althea Gibson, overcoming the horrible racially divided past and present we live with in our country!!!  Great WW to reflect upon, Pastor Freed!!!  Thanks for letting us know about her quote.===JACK:  Many of us have a "Sugar Ray" in our life.  Did you have one in yours?===SS:  Since you ask, I think the Sugar Ray in my life is Martin Luther.  I had a very impactful conversion experience when we lived on Long Island and I believe it stemmed from the fact that Trinity Lutheran ELCA had and has a history of adhering to the Unaltered Augsburg Confession.  They didn’t allow for Teaching that Communion was with Jesus in heaven as it seems some Protestant churches do and could misunderstand something Melanchthon put in.  Right now I’m reading The Augsburg Confession and The Apology of the Augsburg Confession with Key Historical Documents.  It was Pastor Kolbo and Pastor Schulz who with wisdom and insight and fidelity to the Unaltered Augsburg Confession started me on the path I’m on and made a strong enough impact on my heart and Soul that I am able to stand up against some of the other voices that seem not so creditable.  These are some of the heroes in my life.  Anyway, Sugar Ray is a real force.===JACK:  I wonder if Luther had a nickname?..I have one for him, but I guess I'll keep that to myself.

FROM THE CORVETTE KID:  Got that right and your one of them in my life my friend. ===JACK:  I'm humbled, because I've always admired you.

FROM SR IN SC:  S. Margretta, now in heaven, but she was the one whom I needed when I was chair of our Modern and Classical Language Department which was huge and full of  European men who made me quiver when they spoke!!! she would come to my office after a meeting and simply help wipe my tears with her wisdom : "Renee, what is this in the light of eternity?"===JACK:  What a great runion with the saints of God when "all is said and done"!

 

 

 

No comments: