Tuesday, August 31, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 8/31/21

“The difficulty of the task is irrelevant when compared to the consequence of not doing it.”  (Peterson) I once completed writing my sermon notes as the church bell was ringing to announce the beginning of worship.  It’s a good thing that my house was next door to the church.  Would you call that an example of procrastination?  I’ve gotten better at managing time, but how about you?  I wonder if clocks were invented to nudge “put-offers>”  Virgil  first said it 2000 years ago: Tempus Fugit, meaning that “time flies and is irretrievable.”  Have you noticed that?  ;-)  Jack  


FROM SCIENTIST:  This WW couldn’t have been more timely!===JACK:  I'm ready for a Zoom meeting, but I have a feeling that I'm not ready.  Has that ever happened to you? ===S:  More than it should


FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  most certainly!  and it seems to move faster the older we get. ===JACK:  It's like the sand in an hour-glass that's almost empty.  WOW...It certainly seems to drain down more quickly.===SP:  that is a very good analogy!   i may use that in a sermon sometime.===JACK:  Potential illustrations are all around us, if we have eyes to see, ears to hear, and a mind put them into words.  


FROM WILLMAR REV:  Yes. sir, I have! 0;-)===JACK:  We've long talked about lunch together in Willmar.  Just because we've been able to cross that off of The Bucket List, doesn't mean that it can't happen again. 


FROM BB IN CHGO:  I’d call it…inspiration.  Jack, I know you.  I bet you were waiting on the holy Spirit for that inspiration rather than just plowing ahead. ===JACK:  Yes, I do believe in (and trust in) inspiration, but sermon preparation can sometimes get to "a drag" week after week after week.  I've putting out Winning Words since 1992, 5 days a week.  I never would have been able to do that without the help of the Holy Spirit, but we're not always on the same page.  Whatever success U might have had is credited to "in-Spiration."


SR RD"  Yes, Jack, I have noticed it,===JACK:  Even in cloistered living? ===R: Ah, yes!===JACK:  Did you know??  The first recorded clock was built by the future Pope Sylvester II around the year 996.  Time was very important for keeping track of the various calls to prayer.

 

 

No comments: