Wednesday, August 11, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 8/11/21

“If thou be a master, be sometimes blind; if a servant, sometimes deaf.”  (Thomas Fuller)  Have any of you ever worked as a waiter or waitress?  You must have heard some rude comments and had to bite your tongue.  You might also have waited on someone who did not complain when you were having a bad day.  Even around “nice” church people, a pastor has to be a little bit deaf and sometimes pretend not to see.  …but not always!  It applies in other jobs, too!  Right?  ;-)  Jack


FROM WILLMAR REV:  Sometimes those of us posting daily blogs or devotionals must have a few who will turn a blind eye or two and/or present a deaf ear to our "well-thought-out comments" 0;-) ===JACK:  I write, basically, for my own satisfaction...not necessarily in the expectation of replies.  I can usually count on at least a smiley face from you.===REV:  I follow your pattern as well, write/share what touches my mind and heart, sending it out by way of Facebook or weekly emails to ‘whomsoever will’ might enjoy…over the years I have discovered a remnant of 20 or so who at least will send back a ‘like’ or short comment…at least I know my life has been touched by the treasures  of wisdom meant for me! Enjoyed yours posts over the years as it keeps our friendship ever before us! 0;-)===JACK:  Winning Words goes out to over 500 people 5 days a week.  Only God knows how many read them.  A blog allows me to receive and answer comments.  You are one of my "regulars."


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Certainly true! Probably in all walks of life, but especially in the pastorate! :-)===JACK:  People would sometimes "pump" our family for information about church.  One person said (with a smile), "You're the most closed mouth people that I know of."===OAKS:  Unless he needed me to pray about a situation, Bill never told me about who he was counseling.... occasionally someone would apologize for taking his time away from me & the family, and I'd had no idea what they were talking about. I think he counseled a lot because people had faith it would go no further.===JACK:  Sometimes a wife's advice is helpful...without betraying confidences.


FRO SR AT SB:  Yes, Jack!  Right on. . .and so beautifully spoken/written !  thank you.===JACK:  Everybody has a bad day once in awhile.  That's why the liturgy provides for confession and the assurance of forgiveness.

No comments: