Tuesday, August 03, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 8/3/21
“Love is, or it ain’t.  Thin love ain’t love at all.”  (Toni Morrison)  During the Great Depression it was not unusual to keep adding water to soup so that the soup could feed the whole family.  It was called “thin soup.”  Prize-winning author Toni, writes that when love is spread too thin, it ain’t love at all.  Some people give small amounts to multiple charities.  I’ve decided to make larger gifts to fewer charities, thinking that my gifts make more of a difference that way.  I realize that of every little bit helps, but with regard to love, for it to fully blossom you’ve got to be “all in” ;-)  Jack 

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  i belong to a five dollar charity group on facebook... those five bucks add up to thousands before you know it. we help a lot of different causes that way.===JACK:  I did it that way for a long time.  I'm just trying a new way.  Check out The Peoples Church Church in Bemidji, MN.  I think it's worth one of your 5 dollar bills.  I worked ther for a day recently and was very, very impressed with how they cared for the needy.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL: some good words for today. ===JACK:  A short sentence like that after a Sunday sermon were uplifting.  I can't remember anyone walking out MAD.  That may have been a reflection on my preaching, too......   we actually do both in our giving (large and small gifts).  i was told once that even small gifts count because potential BIG givers often ask organizations "how many regular donors do you now have?"   that list is now a little longer if my name is on it.    btw,  we started giving to a number of charities (after researching them) and they must "sell" those lists because i now have over 70 different envelopes that i have kept just for the fun of it.  some of these groups i have never heard of nor would i ever support them.....I suggest that you take a look at The Peoples Church in Bemidji, MN.  I think that the work that is being done there deserves some support.

FROM THE SHARK:  Amen

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Thought-provoking WW, Pastor Freed.  Enjoy your perspective.  We also discern some charities we give larger amounts to and don’t respond to telephone requests for the Leukemia Foundation or policeman fund or universities funds, etc. but when it comes to in person appeals from Girl Scouts or neighborhood kids school fundraisers and so forth we’re apt to just buy one box of cookies or whatnot.  How does a person be “all in” when realizing we all, every single one of us, are created by same God and friends of same Jesus, leastwise those relationships are what we are intended to mature and grow into and bound and connected by same Holy Spirit?  On balance, this really does, to me anyway, seem to be a heart question only God can judge rightly about any of us.  And a true matter of conscience but it is beneficial to be reminded to watch the quality of our intentions to love others all the time and be humbly in repentance of our failings.  Thought-provoking WW, Pastor Freed.  Thank you for inspiring us to reflect on our love qualities. ===JACK:  I refer to you as SHARIN' SHARON for good reasons.  You are generous in many ways besides money.  Take a look at thhe work of the Peoples Church in Bemidji, MN and let me know what you think.

FROM GUSTIE :  I try to do that too—but I get so many letters and phone calls asking for money it is very hard to choose.===JACK:  I used to feel guilty throwing requests in the waste basket...No more.  I do open those with a dime or nickel in them.  I still give generously...just in a different way.===G:    I can make $1 a week in nickels and dimes.  I have gotten a 50 cent piece and even a dollar bill.  What a waste of money for those who are trying to collect. ===JACK:  It must pay off, or they wouldn't do it.===G:  I guess so.  All I do is feel guilty!!===JACK:  Guilt complexes are often annoying to deal with.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  YES, especially in marriage, you've got to be "all in" or it's a rough go! I try to practice unconditional love for all, which is sometimes a real challenge!  But  God loves us that way, so....I tend to give small amounts to many charities but the pleas are constant, and I am at peace doing what I can. I do give a few large donations to favorites like The Smile Train, and Habitat for Humanity, and to Missionaries I know personally.===JACK:  Personal knowledge gifts are the best.

 

  

No comments: