Wednesday, August 18, 2021

 Jack’s Winning Words 8/18/21

“Comparison is the thief of joy.”  (C.S. Lewis)  Maybe it started in high school, the feeling that others were better than I was.…smarter, better looking, better athletes.  Even pastors play the comparison game.  The Bible assures us that we are “one of a kind”, and fingerprints and electronic facial recognition help drive that home.  This week a mom told me that she was expecting triplets, and although they’ll be the same, each will be different.  Let’s you and I be thankful that we are who we are - a child of God.   Remember what Popeye said?  “I YAM WHAT I YAM!”  (Now, repeat that for yourself!)  ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  good one,  Jack.  we all need to hear this once in a while.  ===JACK:  There's no one like St Paul, except the original one.===SP:  hey,  that is very HIGH praise.  thanks!

FROM C?L?:  I like this one especially! Comparison does rob us of joy. Think of the impact on children when the parents compare them to others....no good.===JACK:  As the quote says..."It robs us of joy!"

FROM PM:  Thank you! Your timing for this one is impeccable. It’s crazy all the ways we compare ourselves. Too many!===JACK:  I imagine that when you and I (all of us) stop to think about it...we have so many blessings.  Wasn't it Mick Jagger who sang, "I can't get no satisfaction?"  We get no satisfaction by comparing ourselves to others.

FROM JO-AN IN ST-JO:  I begin each day by making a list of twenty-five things I’m thankful for. The first thing on that list each day is that I’m a beloved child of God. Your list Jack would be different than mine but one would not be better than the other. Enjoy your day! ===JACK:  I accept the challenge and will begin my list...#1: Child of God.  etc.


FROM BB IN CHGO:  
Just loved this one, both the quote and your inspired words. ===JACK:  C.S Lewis usually has words worth quoting.  I think that as we grow older, the comparison "devil" fades, or maybe moves to comparing aches and pains,  Luke Appling, of the White Sox, carried the nickname of "Old aches and pains," because he was always complaining about how he felt.  Yet, he played as though he had no pains.===BB:  I concur; someone told me that some comparison is inadvertent/hard-wired i.e. we look to see who is faster, fitter, better-nourished out of a biological fight or flight place that is unconscious yet always registering and judging our ability to escape predation/disasters. Kind of odd but I understand and try to get over that to at least interact engage publicly with people who look/act odd but who are my brothers and sisters.  Last week on the way to work the food pantry our little church team literally almost tripped over a “fallen soldier” on the sidewalk who was asleep clutching a 12 bottle cardboard box of beer.  It made me sad and we engaged in a long conversation about how to approach the person during or after our shift to offer assist.  Some folks said these are the local drunks, known to the community and you just have to leave them.  That made me uncomfortable as much as engaging  with the person who could’ve been angry/belligerent.  Who knows?  But I think Jesus would not pass without stopping….===JACK:  Were the Bunnies ever into comparison.? I'm sure that some were

 FROM SRRD AT SBSJ:  This is exquisite!!🙈===JACK:  I've never heard one of my writings ever called, exquisite.  Syn:  elegant - magnificent - superb.  If you say so,,,but I just scribble (guided by the hand of God)===RD:  I'd say "ALL four synonyms could fit the bill. . .be the description be the Bible or C.S. Lewis" ===JACK:  Maybe it would sound more exquisite if I used my "real" name...at least more biblical...John's Winning Words.

No comments: