Tuesday, June 08, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 6/8/21

“It’s hard for me to answer a question from someone who really doesn’t care about the answer.”  (Charles Grodin)   One Sunday I laughed to myself when I saw a wife jab her sleeping husband during one of my sermons.  I was trained to preach sermons that connected the Gospel to the events of “today”…and people seemed to relate to that.  Last Memorial Day a veteran’s speech was muted when he connected the day’s observance to Memorial events after the Civil War.  Some people still need a jab in the ribs.  ;-)  Jack


FROM CZB:  I hadn’t heard about this, but from the articles I just read, it doesn’t sound like speaker needed a jab in the ribs. It sounds like the censors needed a slap upside the back of the head. I’m not quite sure why they didn’t approve of his content. Because it honored blacks? Yikes. You’ve probably heard a lot more about this based on your proximity to Ohio.===JACK:  Our pastor came to us after having established a church in that city.  People there considered him to be liberal...while he was just normal.  I'm glad that those ordered the mic to be muted were ousted by the Legion.  The story that was censored had to do with the participation of slaves in the first day of remembrance for both Confederate and Union soldiers who had died in the Civil War.


FROM ANDOVER:  Why was he muted?  I just read an Atlantic article where a man spoke at a Confederate Memorial Day event and insisted the CW wasn‘t about slavery?!?!===JACK:  He was muted, because those in charge of the program thought that talking about the origin of Memorial Day weren't appropriate for a day honoring veterans.  I think that they must have been absent from school that day when the subject was covered.  I think that the wrong person was muted.


FROM WILLMAR REV:  Didn't God do that to Adam to get his attention of a most beautiful "helpmate"?! I have always wished he would have popped that Tempter in the nose and fought him off her there in the Garden!! 0;-) ===JACK:  Violence begets violence.  Joan is disturbed about how much violence there is in the Old Testament.  How do you "preach" the OT without condoning violent behavior?


FROM CZB IN NH:  I had to read the articles over trying to figure out what was so controversial about what he was saying. Nothing.  That is sad.  This polarization of people based on ideas, party-affiliation, race and so on is terrible. I hope and pray it is a “phase” and people will once again listen and assume the best of one another. I would have hoped that fighting a pandemic together might have helped but even that tore people apart!===JACK:  Just because you attend school does not mean that you pay attention when history is being discussed.  




No comments: