Wednesday, June 02, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 6/2/21

“You’ll never look into the eyes of a person who God doesn’t love.”  (Sent by Pr Jennie)  If we were to put ourselves in the place of God, this statement would make no sense.  St. Paul, writes, “Who has known the mind of God?”  Who can figure out grace (forgiveness without recompense)?  Let’s keep in mind that there are no gradations of sin; sin is sin.  Heaven is not based on God liking us, but on God loving us.  Paul, the one we call a saint, referred to himself as the “chief of sinners.”  Would you ever say such a thing about yourself?  ;-)  Jack


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Excellent quote today!! This is a hard truth, that there is no gradation of sin; It is so impressed in our society that  some "sins" are much greater than others.like taking another's life!  If all the "minor" sins are counted, we can all sayl like Paul, "I am the chief of sinners", and be VERY thankful for God's unconditional love!!  Remembering EVERY one we meet if loved by God, is a good way to accept and have God's love for even the hard to love!!  When living in the parsonage, I got very tired of answering the phone, which seemed to ring far too often, and you daren't ignore it, as it might be a crisis call! (Rarely was!)  My husband said, "Try thinking,"Oh, a Child of God wishes to speak to me!" when you pick up the phone. It did help...but to  this day, I don't talk on the phone any more than I have to! ===JACK:  Sometimes we're like the Pharisee who said, "I'm a sinner, but not as bad as that publican.  It's hard to accept that all have sinned and fallen short...that eveyone is in need of grace.


FROM WILLMAR REV:  ". . . sitting in a front row seat, I am!!" 0:-/ ===JACK:  Being saved by our works seems such an easy thing to do...especially compared to saying, "I don't deserve to be called a "Godly person."


FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  For sure, Pastor Freed, I know I am "chief of sinners".  when I get tempted to feel myself self-righteous and that happens often enough, some event or person comes along to cause me to pray to God on my knees again and know I am a created creature and not the Creator of myself. That said, I believe what the Franciscans teach and I think Martin Luther taught, that Christians can live into knowing the Mind of Jesus and I believe St. Paul's testimony on his conversion experience where the Lord talked to him and passed on his teaching to the Apostle. In my understanding and faith the Scriptures are inspired by Holy people but God does love everyone, also the unholy people too.  Enjoyed reflecting on Pr Jennie's quote and your reflection, Pastor Freed. ===JACK:  Grace is a hard word to understand...even harder to accept. ===SS:  That's why I'm so much an admirer of Martin Luther, Pastor Freed.  He walked a difficult path to being authentic and honest with himself and God.  Over the years have acquired quite a library here.


aFROM NORM'S BLOG:  (I like) comment about God’s grace - forgiveness without recompense – and the fact that there is no sliding scale for sins or forgiveness. So, we don’t have big sins and little indiscretions, just sins. And God does not use a scale from 1 to 10 to measure out his grace.  As he usually does in his blog, Freed challenged the reader with a question - Paul, the one we call a saint, referred to himself as the “chief of sinners.”  Would you ever say such a thing about yourself?===JACK:  The figure depicting JUSTICE is often shown holding a balance scale.  The figure representing grace is Jesus mon the cross.  What's the difference between the two?


FROM HONEST JOHN:  I see Universalism is being pedaled in the church...it is based on human logic.   Grace transcends logic.   It is a question best left alone....and it undermines the Great Commandment.===JACK:  If "Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world" is Universalism...so be it.===HJ:  There is a difference between being loved by God and eternal salvation.   We do believe that we are so loved.   Judgment is both affirmed in both OT and NT and is assigned to God.   We are not to replace God as Judge.===JACK:  Exactly    

No comments: